General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A4 vibrates like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your post, I have the same problem and now it has been sorted!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Default alignment

Some bigger tire stores will actually do an alignment check for free! I have taken mine to National tir and Battery and they will actually show you a print-out and ask you if you would like to do an alignment. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

ok so i finally got the right hubcentric rings in. I installed them and it helps. I would say that it cut the vibration in half. I still am shrugging my shoulders about the rest of the vibration. I ordered my hubcentric rings from justforwheels.com. They had extremely great customer service. Any other ideas? This coming tuesday I'm taking my car into the local tire shop and have it looked at.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

You have the hub concentric rings in now. Are the wheels spun ballanced? If so are you sure your tire shops spin ballancer has been calibrated lately? Only other thing I can think of is there might be flat spots worn in the tires now from running that way for too long. Once a wear pattern is set in the tire theres nothing you can do to change it. I had flat spots in mine too. Been there and done this already.

Good Luck...

Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

yea I'm getting them to do a balancing to start off with. The tire place that I had the tires installed at may be the problem ( lets hope so anyway). The only other thing that I can find is that the after-market wheels that I have ( AZA Z2 wheels size 18x8.5) apparently don't fit my car according to tireandrack.com. Could this be the problem? It still doesn't explain why new tires make it that much worse other then the fact that they could be more grippy?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM

check your spark plugs mine seems to vibrate my car when the spark plugs are done

Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

ok so i went to the local tire shop and had them balanced at a different place. It seemed better at first, but then on a two hour drive its still there. I seems to do it the most when i'm not accelerating(aka coasting) or i'm going downhill. So i decided i had had enough and checked it into the local mechanic. He thought that it could be a u joint in the drive shaft. I should find out by tomorrow or the next day what happens. I swear this is gonna kill me.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

I'm just wondering. Were you able to observe when they spun ballanced them? Reason I ask is because of where you have to put the glue on weights is almost 1.5 inches back in the wheel than regular clip on weights mount on the wheel lip. If they spin it up once and mount the weights they might think its correct but 9 times out of 10 its not. I found I have to respin them most times 3 spins adding more to get them to read zero on inside and out readings. Then I know they are right on.

Good Luck and keep us updated...

Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

no i wasn't able to watch them balance them. I probably should have. So all together I've had them balanced three times since i've had these tires put on. The important thing I guess I should say is that the vibration was there before the tires were put on but the tires didn't have much tread so i'm guessing that the new tires just amplifies the vibration.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

ok so i took my car to a local mechanic after i decided I couldn't stand it anymore. He put it on the lift and said that the tires themselves were spinning like crazy. He changed the lugs back to the originals for a better balance. That didn't help. He said he checked every joint that could be causing it. He also said that the driveshaft was fine. I stuck as all get out again. Here the crazy part: when i put the original wheels back on the vibration was still there. The vibration become noticable at 45+ and gets the worst when I'm going downhill. Does anyone know if the quattro could have something to do with this?

Quick Reply: Audi A4 vibrates like crazy