General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

APR snubmount (needs a little explaning)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
1st Gear
Default APR snubmount (needs a little explaning)

I was looking for some cheap parts on APR's website and i came across the APR snubmount. I will say this, my 05' A4 1.8t Quattro is a little rough when shifting (nothing serious) and feels a little 'slackish' or loose. Its hard to describe, but here is what APR says about this part
"APR's Snub Mount Upgrade replaces the front engine mount on the car. This mount enhances upshifting and downshifting, reduces driveline shock, and helps power transfer by taking up excess drivetrain slack."
Can anyone give me a little more information on this? What is driveline shock or drivetrain slack? Does this part really do anything? Its cheap and i may get it to try it out, but was just seeing if anyone knew a little more about this part. Don't want to get a part that does absolutley nothing.

Best regards - Andrew

Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

your drive train slack that they are talking about i would assume is the distance the motor and the trans move when you accelerate or brake hard. i'm pretty sure the mount you want to buy would be alot harder than the stock one's kepping the drivetrain tight. it would create a rougher ride if anything.

my best way to explain it is think how much an old harley vibrates. they had solid motor mounts. which is pretty much what you looking into getting.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 AM
4th Gear

that loosness that you feel is probably the driveline slack, from the stock rubber snub mount. what the APR (or pureMS, 034, ect) do is take up the space int eh stock snub bracket and keep the engine from moving up or down. the APR one is a tight fit and you feel some vibrations but nothing too serious, i have the purems which is slighlty smaller but does essentially the same thing without the vibrations. try the search bar as this subjects been explained quite a bit. just remember that the loosness can also be loose or worn out parts .

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the explanations, it has made much more sense to me now. I am going to check out my stock mount and see what condition it is in.