General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Default AC Problems

My AC the other day quit blowing cold air, which sucks because gulf coast summers are unbearably hot and humid[:@]. Any my first thought was to rechard with some r134a. When i hooked up the can the pressure gage was in the red zone and the car would not accept anything out of the can. Does this mean i need a new compressor? or is there any other part i should change out or some sort of investigation procedure i should check out first. Before this warm air tradegy running the AC sounded a little louder than i thought it normally sounded. My coolant has some green coolant mixed with the pink from when they topped off my fluids at the tire place. Could this be related? I already bought some of the pink stuff to flush it out but if i am gonna have to remove my radiator to get to the compressor i figured i should wait. Also if i am gonna change that should i change the timing belt and water pump also given my car is a 1997 A4 Quattro 2.8L 12v with 146k miles.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:25 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: AC Problems

Is the red zone high or low pressure?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 PM

The redzone i believe is high pressure. Its at the far end of the dial. I need to double check to be 100% positive.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

Hi, I'm new here. Actually we have similar problem. The A/C compressor and/or clutch may have gone out. You also might have a problem with the wiring for the compressor. If the refrigerant is to low your compressor will not kick on. You need to jump the compressor, so it turns on then you can get recharge kits at most auto stores, like auto zone, or at wall-mart, which is usually cheaper. Cost around 30 to 35 dollars, comes with all you need, together with instructions. I hope it helps.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: kazuya
You need to jump the compressor
I have a can of the refigerant but how would i go about jump starting my compressor?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:14 AM
2nd Gear

If your in the red it could be overfilled, warmer outside temperatures make the AC pressure rise and if its too much it will stop working, id try and let some refrigerant out first before i tried anything.

Then id check to see if the clutch engaging, if it is- compressors usually make terrible noises if they are shot. It could also be temp sensors so if none of that works id VAG it.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

you know, my 2000 A4 1.8T had the same problem it wouldn't quite blow out hot air and i'm in florida. it's HORRIBLE down here so when i did some checking around, the big square relay for the AC that was actually blown so in turn my electric fan blew so i just ordered it and am waiting for it to come in so i can replace it... try checking under the dash at all the big fuses that has ANYTHING to do with the AC and that may be the problem too. i don't really know much, and even less about your type of vehicle, but Audis are nothing but fuses anyways so it's worth a shot

Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks that gives me a couple things to try I am about to break down and take it to the shop this 90 degree 100% humidity weather on the gulf coast has been making me wanna kill myself.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 AM
1st Gear

Connect the leads to the respective battery trminals i.e. red - red black - black. Wait for about 10 mins for the slave battery to charge the dud one then try the ignition switch.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: kazuya

Connect the leads to the respective battery trminals i.e. red - red black - black. Wait for about 10 mins for the slave battery to charge the dud one then try the ignition switch.
I'll try this

I also let out all my refriderant and tried to recharge it from zero. The compressor did pull any of the new stuff in. Does this mean most likely it is shot?