General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A5 2.0T Timing Chain Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Contact Audi of America and let them know what has happened. Request a case number and then write to audicares@audi.com

I was provided with a 70% discount.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Help! Timing chain wrecked my engine

I just took my A3 to get normal service and literally as I was pulling in, the timing chain failed!! There was no warning. The car started rattling as I was in his driveway! He is not sure if I'll need engine replaced yet. I'm scared this might cost me close to $9000 and I just lost my job!!!
Is there a lawsuit? How can I get Audi to pay for this (2010 A3 no longer under warranty...only 43k miles). My car is with independent mechanic right now, not dealership. Help!!!!

Originally Posted by RunfromAudi
At this point Audi is design in Denial - and it appears that they are also systemically 'shielding' their sales persons and other employees from "knowing" about this 'ticking time bomb'.... Deceptive Trade practices like this are highly illegal and invite a lawsuit (leading to class-action). It is unfortunate, but this IS the check and balance against large corporations which make claims like "Truth in Engineering"... then deceive by making a defective component which is internal - therefore, hidden from sight.

This kind of redefines "Truth in Engineering" (what did it mean anyway?

In my case Audi qualified Service personnel Knew this defect existed, they know the effect of not correcting the design flaw. There are shops that make a living from retrofitting the engine (to avoid this catastrophic engine failure). They all KNOW!

Here comes the class action suit (I am in touch with the lawyers who were successful the first time around.....
"Thank God for Trial Lawyers" (never thought I would say that!).

Best!

Old 05-22-2016, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! Timing chain issue!

Help! I'm having the same issue. How can I get Audi to pay for this??? I have 2010 A3, no warranty...

QUOTE=astevens;1493689]We have a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T wagon. Audi replaced the piston rings due to the excessive oil usage issue outside the warranty. The car is 98K miles and the timing chain tensioner failed and the engine is toast. Audi South Austin took the head off and said the only solution is a new engine which is $13K. Also they want $1300 to pay for their time taking the head off to see if there was serious damage to the engine.

Right now the car remains at Roger Beasley South Austin.

RunFromAudi, who did you contact in corporate to get things moving? Was your car also in the same dealer in Austin? If so would you be willing to PM me your real name, then I could drop it saying I know how you were treated and expect the same. It's clear the dealer knows about this common issue, so if it's not rectified then it's a lawsuit. Ideally I'd like to join an existing class action if possible though.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-22-2016, 01:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Help!

I had the same issue! My A3 might need new engine. What can I do to make Audi pay for it?

Originally Posted by Sccc28
Hi RunFromAudi,

I have had almost the exact same thing happen with my 2010 a4. I had the same oil consumption problem finally after 3 years of me owning the car, they changed the pistons and gaskets.

3 weeks ago my car wouldn't start mysteriously and now it sits at Audi Uptown needing a whole engine replacement due to the chain jumping 3 teeth due to a tensioner failure. Have you had any luck dealing with Audi?'

Has anyone else had similar failures?

Old 05-23-2016, 04:37 PM

Contact Audi of America and make a claim. They have a process for this. Also, contact your local Audi dealer and shop. They might be able to help guide you. They paid for about half of my repair.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Thank you!

Much appreciated!!

Originally Posted by dterrell89
Contact Audi of America and let them know what has happened. Request a case number and then write to audicares@audi.com

I was provided with a 70% discount.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:36 PM

I'm a (currently less than proud) owner of an Audi A4 @.0T Quattro Prestige 2009. I just got the wonderful news that this timing chain tensioner issue has happened to me as well, and the repair shop estimates $5.5k for the repair. This is extra special because I explicitly asked 6 months ago during maintenance whether or not the timing chain needed replaced/maintained, as was told no!

I have called Audi of America customer service and my local Audi dealership, and was told that since I'm the 2nd owner and the car is out of warranty, and the car has missed a few regular maintenance milestones over the last year, that I was unlikely to get any coverage from Audi for the repair. This means that a car with just under 80k miles on it, which has had regular maintenance for most of the life of the car, has had a failed engine due to a known issue with the timing chain! In what world is this acceptable? I would have very gladly paid to replace a timing belt, but instead they switched to a flawed chain-based system and told people it didn't need replaced when it very clearly did. If there is any class action suit going, I would be very happy to join. I may look into it if none exists, because this is ludicrous.

Would anyone have recommendations that would help me to get this at least partially taken care of by Audi? I could contact the audicares@audi.com email to see if that has any more luck than the phone support, but I don't have high hopes it would be any better. Is my only hope to lawyer up here?

Thanks all in advance for the help!

Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi timing chain tensioner lawsuit

Hi,
I found a law firm who is already filing a class action suit. Here are details
Thomas P. Sobran
> 7 Evergreen Lane
> Hingham, MA 02043
> Tel: (781) 741-6075
> tsobran@sobranlaw.com

My mechanic told me he's had 5 customers blow engines because of this issue just this year!!! Audi knows it's at fault and just won't do anything. Let's hope the class action gets us our money back!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 PM

Thanks Jpiumarta!

I've contacted the law firm, here's hoping it helps.

Since I have the Audi currently at a (good) 3rd party mechanic, and Audi says they are unlikely to cover any part of the costs, does anyone think it's worth the extra time and money to have it taken to an Audi dealership to have it looked at? Audi says they're unlikely to cover the cost but for there to be any chance at all they need it diagnosed by a Audi dealership. I don't know that it's worth paying for 2 different diagnoses and another tow for a small chance of Audi covering a part of the cost. Maybe I'll just eat the 3rd party mechanic's charge and hope that the class action suit eventually goes through successfully to recoup...

Also, would it possibly be worth it for my to contact a lawyer myself and have them threaten to sue in my situation? I realize that I shouldn't expect legal advice, but a layman's opinion would be great.

I really want to be an Audi fan and repeat customer, but this mess is making it really quite difficult.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing chain- lawsuit

It shouldn't matter what mechanic you take it to. Think about the fact that most people don't even live near a dealership so that shouldn't be required. Just keep all your receipts and ask your mechanic to give you the broken tensioner and any other damaged parts.

Quick Reply: A5 2.0T Timing Chain Failure