General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'96 A4 2.8L Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:48 PM
1st Gear
Default I need your help

Hey I have a 2001 Audi s4, I'm really struggling cause I know nothing about them, in the front where the battery and box with the ecu ecu chip got flooded, the battery has a dead cell and I believe the ecu got water damage but it doesn't look like anything is wrong with The circuit board but the chacity belt obviously does, but the car starts right up, which is fantastic but it has a HUGE lack of power, the thing is supposed to be twin turbo, but it's taking me like 10 seconds to hit 45, i need help, I don't know if it's the battery or the ecu ecm chip, I found a chip on eBay for 220, but that's the cheapest one, and I would like to know if that's the exact problem. Please message me or reply back

Old 04-26-2016, 05:46 AM
2nd Gear

It could be a number of things causing this issue. First thing you need to do is pull the OBD error codes from the ECU. What is a "chacity belt"?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:09 PM
1st Gear
Default I need help with putting transmission fluid in

I have a transmission fluid leak and it won't let me go into gear, I'm trying to put transmission fluid in and I can't figure out how? Can someone help

Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear

To fill the transmission fluid, you have the have the car elevated enough (and still level) to get to the pan on the bottom of the transmission. The engine MUST be running when you take the plug that is recessed into the pan a couple of inches out or you'll have to put all that fluid back in. You have to pump or squirt enough fluid into the hole until is starts to run out. While the car is still running, run the shifter through all of the speeds to get the fluid pumping though the trans like it should. Then squirt some more fluid into the hole until it starts to run out. This will mean there is enough fluid in the pan for normal operation. Replace the plug BEFORE turning off the car. Be sure to have a catch pan to catch any fluid that drains out. Use ONLY the synthetic transmission fluid that Audi uses (it's about $10 a liter) or you'll trash the clutches in the transmission effectively trashing the trans.

Here is a Youtube video that shows how to change the fluid. Watch it and take note on how they filled the transmission.

The pump he used is ok but a bit clunky. I got a flush kit from Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts® for my A8 a while back and I like their pump better. It has no hoses to need extra fluid (expensive fluid) to fill up and operate.

Where is the transmission leaking oil? If it's leaking around the pan, I'd recommend getting a fluid change kit from Blauparts that will include a new filter and pan gasket. Get a couple extra liters of fluid for good measure though.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Administrator

To get this back on track for the OP, if I recall correctly the fuel pump relay is the one under the dash marked 372. Relays don't fail all that often. It sounds like your fuel pump is dead. You can pull the relay, jump terminals 30 and 87 to force current to it, and see if that fires the pump. If so, your relay is shot. My feeling though is your pump is dead, possibly from having been over-driven trying to force fuel through a clogged filter - seems like ignoring the fuel filter is very common in Audi ownership on this forum. I've seen it a LOT.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

Problem continues. I spent a lot of time tracing wires that have anything to do with the fuel system and finally came down to the relay. I can manually jump the relay and I have power to the fuel pump. But when I crank the engine, it does not start. There is fuel pressure at the injectors and I can get a few pops with a dose of ether but no sustained combustion.
I replaced the relay and still nothing. Code reader will not pull up anything, but says link error each time...

I'm at another loss for cause on this one.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

It kind of sounds like the ECU isnt' getting power now...

Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Not sure how to test the ECU for functionality... Seems like a lot that could be wrong in that little box. I was just checking other things and after cranking for a little bit, I checked the plugs and they were bone dry. Which i guess tells me that the injectors are not providing fuel to the cylinders. Another electronic mystery.