General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 A6 3.0T New ignition, key not recognized.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 01:06 AM
1st Gear
Question 2010 A6 3.0T New ignition, key not recognized.

I was having issues with my ignition not engaging the key when inserted. After some research I found that it was a pretty common problem. Something like a spring operated mechanism failing. I took it into the dealership (only one & 250 miles away) & they replaced the ignition for $1000 & some change. Shortly thereafter, I started experiencing the same issue but a hell of a lot worse. They're telling me that I now need a new $400 key. Even if that is my only option, they're 250 miles away & I cannot start the car at all anymore so I would have to have it towed which would absolutely kill so I'm hoping you guys may have some suggestions. When it worked, I would insert the key & hear that sound it makes when the ignition engages the key or vice versa. Now I insert & no sound at all. The FOB will still lock/unlock/open trunk/panic, nothing else.

I only have one key. Didn't come with a second. It's a flip open sale key too.

I have replaced the FOB battery, tried re-syncing (key in car door lock, hold unlock & turn counter-clockwise. Windows rolled down, no change with ignition), other things read online like holding unlock, insert key in ignition & turn key on, disconnect car battery to reset system, etc. Nothing has worked yet.

Whether I've tried it or not, I'm cool with starting from scratch. I'll try anything you guys think may help. Honestly about to set this sexy but problematic beast on fire.

Thank you in advance. I very much appreciate any & all help.