General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 a6 2.7t p0741

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 a6 2.7t p0741

I have a 2001 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7T. The check engine light is on and is showing the code P0741 for a Torque Converter.

I have read online that this is a common issue and often doesn't affect the performance of the car.

My car runs fantastic and has no issues with gear shifting or performance in general. I have ran it through stop-and-go traffic without issue or concern.

The issue is that twice now, the car hasn't started. It cranks but doesn't fire. My first instinct is that it is an issue with the immobilizer / key, but the error code only reads Torque Converter. After waiting a few hours, the car starts. We cleared the CEL codes, but no other changes.

I have also read online, that the torque converter can sometimes cause the car to not start if it is low on Transmission Fluid.

Any help or clues are appreciated.

:EDIT: It also wouldn't surprise me if there is wiring that is messed up. When it fails to start, we can't hear the fuel pump come on, which I have been lead to believe is related to the immobilizer. Is there a fuel pump relay that I could check? Maybe some related electrical wiring?
My manual doesn't have an entry for fuel pump relays, but I'm certain it has one.

Last edited by UndiscoveredBum; 07-29-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE:

The issue that I am experiencing has nothing to do with P0741 error code.
Additionally, the user manual said that if it was an immobilizer or if the key wasn't reading correctly, a light on the dash would flash continuously -- I am not having that symptom.

When I turn the key, we do not hear a fuel pump come on. We do, however, hear the fuel pump relay click, so that is not the issue.

It feels like the issue is either a fuel line or a fuel pump. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear

Could be the relay. Even if you hear it click (and you may want to verify that it IS the fuel pump relay that is clicking) doesn't necessarily mean it's making good contact inside to complete the circuit of the higher AMP one that actually powers the pump. You can remove it and clean the contacts inside. The higher AMP side of the relay can develop small deposits on those contacts that could prevent a good connection. Each time the relay makes up those contacts, there is a small spark and can erode the contacts. Most of the time you can slip some fine sandpaper between those contacts and clean them off to like new again. Or you can get a new relay (don't get some cheap one, get a good one made by any of the OEM manufacturers) and replace it to see if that fixes the issue. You can also jump the contacts on the relay in the socket to force the fuel pump to run. If it does not and you test to make sure you're getting power to the connector at the tank where the pump lives, it's possible the fuel pump has failed or is failing.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
Could be the relay. Even if you hear it click (and you may want to verify that it IS the fuel pump relay that is clicking) doesn't necessarily mean it's making good contact inside to complete the circuit of the higher AMP one that actually powers the pump. You can remove it and clean the contacts inside. The higher AMP side of the relay can develop small deposits on those contacts that could prevent a good connection. Each time the relay makes up those contacts, there is a small spark and can erode the contacts. Most of the time you can slip some fine sandpaper between those contacts and clean them off to like new again. Or you can get a new relay (don't get some cheap one, get a good one made by any of the OEM manufacturers) and replace it to see if that fixes the issue. You can also jump the contacts on the relay in the socket to force the fuel pump to run. If it does not and you test to make sure you're getting power to the connector at the tank where the pump lives, it's possible the fuel pump has failed or is failing.
Thank you very much for the response!! I will check the results and get back to you when I know more.