General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001.5 S4 coolant problem/weird noise (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001.5 S4 coolant problem/weird noise (VIDEO)

So I've been suffering from a minor coolant leak for the past month and a half. Unable to find the source of the leak, I've just been filling it with distilled water. Everything was fine (except my heat never worked) until a couple days ago when my engine started overheating. I pulled over, find no liquid in the reservoir...proceeded to refill it and find liquid immediately pouring out from under the car. I guess that minor leak turned into a major leak =(. Also upon starting the car i started hearing this weird noise. Can anyone help ID what this weird rattling noise is? considering my coolant issues im inclined to say its the water pump?!

B5 audi s4 - YouTube

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear

Just a guess from experience NO HEAT and coolant MYSTERIOUSLY disappearing could be your head gasket OR you would see the leak that big by the water pump. If it's leaking THAT badly, you should be able to see it coming from the front of the engine by the water pump...IF it's the head gasket - it finally blew out the seal completely.

Waterpump is in the front of the engine......

IF it's your head gasket, Basically, your coolant was leaking into your exhaust system and evaporating so you never saw a leak. THEN it finally blew...and when there is a leak in the coolant system, your heat won't work.

I'm hoping for YOU, it's the water pump or something else....

Sorry, just my 2 cents educated guess.....

Marky

Last edited by markymarc; 02-18-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 AM
1st Gear
Default 01.5 S4 coolant leak

Could be the auxiliary coolant pump under the intake manifold. Had a similar thing happen on my 01.5 S4 last October. Factory part # is 078965561. The original Bosch unit had a plastic housing and it just cracked. Have to remove or lift up the intake manifold to get to it and replace. Much easier to get to the pump if you remove the intake manifold, so I went ahead took this as an opportunity and installed a 5mm phenolic spacer between the intake manifold and head. Spacers not necessary though, but make sure you also get new intake manifold gaskets.

Good Luck

Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear

hahahaha...now that I ACTUALLY watched the video...it does/could sound like a broken impeller on the aux water pump OR the actual water pump.

Sounds like something plastic is broken..... LOL