General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 A4 1.8t: possible clutch slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A4 1.8t: possible clutch slippage?

Hey I just bought my first audi last night and I was driving it home and it is having from what I can tell clutch problems. When I am in gear and moving and I put my foot down to accelerate it get like a dud-dud-dud noice and feeling... kind of like stalling. Very gentle acceleration, the noise/feel is slightly less prevalent. As it was happening the check engine light began to flicker and now this morning it is on and the problem seems to be getting worse.
I am a bit nervous about this issue, I bought the car planning to be paying in order to maintain it and if it is just the clutch I am not necessarily convinced I got a bad deal... I am also nervous that it could be the turbo, Please help.
It happens mostly in 2nd-5th gear. right above 3k RPM.

I paid 5K for the car with 132k on it, very clean, no accidents.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

I am getting my clutch changed as you read this now. My original quote is 1450 with the fly wheel being swapped as well not resurfaced. If you are feeling a clutch slap chances are your clutch is bad. There is a way to test it but I am not sure about the turbo versions.
Have you ever looked at the cartalk website. They talk all the time about how they test clutches. Something like put it in gear let the clutch out and it stalls or something.
But I am not positive.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I had my clutch go out about 3 months ago and got it replaced. I was right at 100k. so if your clutch has never been replaced its defiantly time. Instead of getting a OEM clutch i got a ECS stage 2 clutch with aluminum flywheel and had them install it along with them doing the timing belt all for about $1600. The clutch and flywheel were $800 but this was an upgrade so obviously it cost more. I doubt you have a turbo problem but just a fair warning to you, If you are ever working on vacum lines or intake please do not drop anything in there and think its not a huge deal because i did that once and started my car causing a bent turbo blade. I sure got what i deserved 2 days nonstop under the hood work along with $400.
but that just goes to show even a 17 yr old can work on a car. if you ever have turbo problems just pm me

welcome to audi world

Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for The great info! And welcome! I really appriciate it as I am 100% noob.

So I took it to a great mechanic in town great reputation, not cheap but considerably cheaper than a stealership. He is doing a 150 point inspection as well as diagnosing the issue which he is pretty certain is some kind of sludge problem (I did not do my homework...) Had other cars in mind when I bought it last night. It just sort of came out of nowhere and seemed like a good choice.
He said one red flag was the check engine light flickering which means one cylinder is not firing, in-turn dumping raw 91 octane fuel into the cat. There also appears to be some oil leaking from somewhere... Not good. It is in fact a 2000 1.8t which means it is susceptible to sludge. Mechanic said an oil pressure test will answer alot of questions.

Not sure of much other than that, getting the final word tomorrow morning of what is going to need to happen. He quoted "it could be anything from spark plugs ($150) to a partial rebuild ($1200-$1500, maybe more depending on the extent of the damage and condition of the engine.)"

The dealer claims he is going to pay to fix the problem... If it gets too expensive than he wants it towed to his mechanic to have it fixed. I am not totally cool with that, we will see what he actually pays for...

Thanks for reading and I would really appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. I am well aware I fucked up.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

well if you are looking for reliability then yes you certainly did **** up. I have 2003 audi a4
and its been nothing but hell for 3 months I have had to replace the turbo, clutch, tires , intake / vacuum system and spark plugs. bought mine for 5.9k eh but look on the bright side your not spending all this money on a worthless cvt. at least its a manual