General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1989 Audi 100 alternator belt problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Question 1989 Audi 100 alternator belt problems

I hope someone out there can help me. I bought this car from my brother about 10 years ago and it had been well-maintained. It has about 155,000 miles on it. Soon after buying it, the alternator belt squealed a bit so I took it to the Audi dealership and they changed all of the belts. Since that time, I've had a continuing problem with the belt squealing. Once that starts, it will soon stop charging the battery. Once or twice, it has just fallen off. I've had it in the shop many times and they've replaced the belt many times. It runs fine for awhile - a couple weeks at most - and then the squealing, very loud squealing starts again. Sometimes, I can drive it around the block and get it to stop. If it's not squealing and I put on the AC, it will start squealing again. Sometimes, it starts squealing as soon as I start the car. Sometimes, it starts squealing when I'm stopped at a light and then begin accelerating again. I've taken it to the best foreign automotive repair shop in town. They've made many adjustments and haven't been able to figure out why this problem continues. They've had me bring it back to them after driving it for a week or so to have the belt tightened to try to prevent the squealing. Nothing has worked. The last time it had to be towed, I had it taken to a regular automotive repair shop someone had recommended. They put on a new belt and told me that it appeared that some kind of splash guard/air dam might be missing from the front of the car under the engine that would protect the alternator belt from road water and debris. This made sense to me since the belt always starts squealing whenever I drive on a wet road. I found Shokan's on the internet and contacted them, but they said they had never seen such a thing. I've done a lot of internet searching without any results. I have another car, so my Audi spends a lot of time sitting. Now, I have to have it towed in for belt replacement yet again. I'm beyond frustrated with this problem. I don't know much about cars and would appreciate some help. Thanks.