Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

which products are Best!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 09:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: which products are Best!!!!!!

I have been using F21 wax for a while now and it has worked good, even with water spots. From a cost benefit standpoint right now they are having a deal buy 3 get 1 free. I jumped on it sinse its what I use and recommend.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Hi i live pretty close to Griots.. and damn i love there products never had a problem with them staining or anything.. definately love the SpeedShine too!!!

Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

This is for all the Griots Garage fans out there....I posted this some time ago on a Vette forum in reply to someone asking the same question, let me know where I am wrong.

Here I am again being the one negative voice

What did you get for the $200?

Griots sells a gal. of their "Speed Shine" for $30. I am sure it's a very nice product but just how different is it from other quick detailers out there?

Hi-Temp offers the same type product for $18 a gallon so is Griots worth the extra $12? They both do the same thing, carnauba based, used to wipe off light dust, finger prints and smudges on glass and paint!

1 gallon of Griots car wash is $40 while 1 gallon of Optimums car shampoo is $16, Top of the Lines "Bubble Bath" for 1 gallon is $13.95!

I can tell you that in my 16 years as a professional detailer there is no difference in soap chemistry to justify paying $25 extra for a gallon of car wash.

1 gallon of Griots window cleaner cost $17. I am sure it works great....but did you all know that liquid window cleaners are 99% water and 1% surfacant?? So you are paying $17 for water with a drop of detergent, that's ridiculous. I have not bought window cleaner now for a very long time because I now mix up my own. Some distillled water, some alcohol and a drop of soap and you have a great window cleaner.

Griots sells 1 gallon of their Vinyl/Rubber Dressing for $95 FREAKIN bucks!! Just how different is it from Optimums UV absorbing dressing which sells for $20 a gallon??

Now here is where it gets really ridiculous....Paint Polish

Griots sells 3 grades of paint polish, we have a mild, medium and a fine. This is a standard setup within most systems of car care products and again I am sure they produce great results BUT you need to buy all "3" products to get your paint in shape because you have no idea if your paints needs a medium grit polish or a mild polish or perhaps just a fine polish, right? So why not just have one polish that can fill the needs of all 3?

Lets again do some price comparison. If I were to buy all 3 grades of the Griots polishes it would cost me $35 and that would give me 48ounces of product, not bad huh? And that's also a savings of $6!

Well I can also buy 32oz of Optimum Polish for $15.95 and it will out perform anything Griots has to offer. It will do the job of ALL 3 of the Griot polishes. I know this because I can remove 1500 grit sanding marks with it and a wool pad and then finish it off to a swirl free finish and then wax it. Griots couldn't do that with one polish or all 3. So you spend an extra $30 bucks for what? The name?

Now we come to the ever increasing and popular "Spray waxes". Griots sells their "spray wax" for $35 a gallon. It doesn't contain any polymers, no UV absorbers and it isn't even a true sealer or final wax, indicated by their own description of the product. So basically it's a glorified version of their "speed shine".

Once again I'll use Optimum as a comparison. Optimum Spray Wax has no cleaners, no solvents, gives you up to 3 months protection (at least this has been my results on daily drivers, some claim less, some more but the average is 2.5 months from a single application) contains the same UV absorbers that are in your clear coat, can be used on chrome, plastic, reduces UV through your glass by 35% and won't turn your trim white with residue, takes 15 minutes to wax your entire car and it sells for $30 a gallon.

So with the prices close on these two items which one gives you more bang for the buck?

Anthony