Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Audi Manhattan - NYC (horrible)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

The crappy part about this and any other bad dealership is that they manage to stay around long enough for the owners to collect some fat money and then move on. we've had it on Long Island with several dealers. Everyone knows they're crooks, yet they continue to stay in business selling shady deals and shadier vehicles. I guess that most people quit fighting after one or two rounds and that's how they keep going.

I'm sorry for your grief and I hope you can stick with it and beat the SOB's down with a refund AND a "pain and suffering" payment.

Those XX point checks are meaningless, even with "Certified Used" cars. the dealers do cursory work for the certification and then sell the car. If the new owner complains then they'll fix the item, otherwise they get away with it. The rates for warranty work are far lower than the shop rate so the incentive isn't there. And at least with a certified warranty, the owner could take the car to another dealership for satisfaction.

Good luck!!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again for the support.

I hate this process - it sucks >> too much time wasted on possibly no resolve.

But here is another image update that's out there:

A banner on Edmunds.com for Audi of Manhattan. [I'm not sure it'll show up here]. It clicks over to this forum Thread as does the Google ads.

Audi Manhattan - NYC (horrible)-edmunds.screen.jpg

Old 10-10-2008, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Update:

There has been some progress (I won't hold my breath), but at least there is some forward movement. The dealership contacted me and I spoke with someone there who's been in the business for quite sometime. He seemed sincere in his concern of this situation, how it was handled, and mentioned that there were some admin. changes when he came aboard in April of 2008. It was a seemingly positive conversation. He arranged to have my car picked up so that they could have it assess by a Volvo dealer that they have a good relationship with. They confirmed that the ECU was spitting out transmission error codes, even after resetting the system. The transmission was pulled from the engine and it was also confirmed that it and possibly the primary ECU needs to be replaced.

I'm waiting to hear about what options will be presented to me for possible resolution. It's a step forward, but I'm (of course) wary of a positive outcome.

Audi Manhattan - NYC (horrible)-volvo.tow.jpg

Last edited by Rockginxc; 10-12-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 PM
2nd Gear

hey man its good to know that theyre at least taking steps in the right direction!keep up the good work lol

Old 10-18-2008, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Update:

Things continue to move forward. The dealership (actually the GM) has taken steps to offer me options. The '01 Volvo V70XC will need a new transmission, ECU, and a driver's side tie rod. The GM of the dealership said that this option will be covered by the dealership and no out of pocket expense to me. The other option (that they are working on) is to offer a '04 Allroad with 56K, all options including cold weather package for about $6K. They still have to assess the vehicle in regards to their reconditioning cost, but he thought it would be about an additional $6k and he said preliminarily the Audi was in very good condition. (Obviously, I would be giving up the Volvo that has 73K miles).

Obviously, since this is an Audi Forum - I'm assuming opinions will sway towards the Allroad for an additional $6K. Once I get confirmation from them this upcoming week regarding the overall condition of the vehicle, I'll have to make my choice. I don't know too much about the 4.2 V8 and the Audi isn't the color I would prefer - it's the Alpaka Beige Metallic, but I'll have to weigh the pros and cons once the paperwork is presented to me.

I completely welcome any opinions regarding the choices and about the 4.2 Allroad.

Last edited by Rockginxc; 10-18-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Default Let me just say....

that I am happy that there seems to some sort of resolution here!
I would get the Volvo fixed and keep that car. You did not get an Allroad before because you did not love the color and you stated that you liked the V and that t suited your needs. Get the Volvo repaired and checked out and then make a decision but I vote Volvo!!!!!

Good Luck!

p.s.
Any opinion on the A4?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Update:

I hope that this is the last update to this saga. Since picking up the car, they assessed the condition and removed the transmission to reveal that the the transmission was shot. The person who contacted me from Audi of Manhattan was GM Raul Colon. He was brought into the dealership on April, 2008. He's a car guy, with a very long history of working with many brands: BMW, Volvo, Audi, etc. He's old school in a very good way and made a concerted effort to review all of the documents I sent over including getting the story straight from everyone that I had come in contact with at the dealership since this began. He wanted to provide me with options -- to either fix the Volvo or to find a comparable Audi Allroad wagon that was a CPO car. I willing to pay another $3K-$5K for an Allroad that was a low mileage vehicle in excellent shape. Raul had found 2 Allroads (a 2.7T and a 4.2), but after their service dept. had gone through both cars - they didn't meet his requirements to be a sellable/quality CPO Audi.

At the end of the day, fixing the Volvo became the option. He had Palisades Volvo do the work and they did the following:

New transmission
New transmission control unit (with software upgrade)
New right tie rod
New steering arm
New L/R front ball joints
New brackets to hang front bumper correctly
Repair/adjust inner driver's door panel that was loose

For this work, I had to pay $0.00 and have all the paper work that includes a 12 month / unlimited mileage warranty. I picked up the car yesterday. It looked fantastic > the other dealership had cleaned/detailed the vehicle. Even better, the car drove like it was brand new. The transmission was smooth and the steering was very precise and tight.

My experience started off in a very bad way, but Raul Colon provided excellent service, commitment, and communication. He always called or emailed me when he said he would and succeeded in turning around this entire ordeal into something very positive. He also made internal personnel changes that had some relation to my experience. My overall feeling (though it may sound corny) is that he brings to this dealership the sense of integrity, reliability, and trust - which is the primary reason why anyone would want to buy a car from a dealership. I would suggest that if anyone goes into buy or research a car at Audi of Manhattan, no matter who your salesperson is...take the opportunity to meet and speak with Raul Colon.

I still have my eye on a black or Cobalt Allroad, manual shift with the 2.7T or a 4.2 auto - there is a very good chance that I'll be back at Audi of Manhattan when one turns up as a CPO in the next year.

Thanks you to everyone who commented on my post.

Last edited by Rockginxc; 11-11-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Rockginxc
Update:

"Patchelect" - I should have taken your Poppa's advice, but that wouldn't change the crap-ethics of this dealership. I had my car towed to another dealership and they hooked it up to their VIDA machine to download all codes and messages from the ECU. The "transmission service / error" messages and codes were date earlier than my purchase date of the vehicle. This other dealership in Bay Ridge, NY, did this for free and their invoice clearly states "Transmission failure. Stuck in 2nd gear. Transmission replacement necessary". I faxed this another letter to Audi Manhattan as well as to all the corporate officers. No response (no surprise). I found poor dealership reviews on Edmunds - I added my $.02. I was also spoke to a service manager at Jack Daniels Audi and the assistant to Jeff Kuhlman (Dir. of Communications of Audi America). The Jack Daniels Service Mgr. said that they've been getting more NYC customers for service and car sale because they were treated so poorly at Audi Manhattan. Even better, the assistant to Kuhlman (I think her name was Ari) was candid and said that though Audi in NYC has very high sales numbers, they also have a very low approval rating and corporate has previously received multiple negative consumer feedback regarding the purchase process and service.

The negative [Audi Manhattan] Google ads are great and hopefully more people are seeing them.

The needle hasn't moved yet, but I'm not done yet either. After meeting with one of the lawyers from NYC Consumer Affairs & Civil Rights dept., she was positive about investigating and sending a letter of inquiry to the dealership and corporate regarding fraud, consumer misinformation, and corporate best practices in NY State. It's a slow process. Even if Audi Manhattan doesn't do the right thing by me, I will at the very least try to divert as many potential Audi buyers to other dealerships in the Tri-State area.
Don't trust Jack Daniels. See my post" Jack Daniels Audi still sucks". I have two complaints against them with Audi of America, a file with the NJ Office of the Attorney General, and the Bergen County office of Consumer Affairs. I have been after them for almost two years now, and I will not give up until they do the right thing. If not, I will continue to do everything I can to ruin their business and their reputation in the Metropolitan area. They did everything you have heard about, that a scumbag dealership would do to their customers. The list of complaints is amazing, yet they are still in business. Someone there contacted me after all this time, and is promising to do the right thing. Why did they wait so long? We'll see what happens. If they finally make things right, I will give them credit for it. Up until now though, they have proven to be nothing less than the worst bottom feeders you'll ever have the misfortune of dealing with.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

Hey all,

Update on Audi Manhattan - dealing with Vincent Schommer regarding a used A4 Prestige. We firm up on the price, I place a deposit, schedule my mechanic, and a few hours later, he sends me a PO that includes a $695 "admin fee" and $95 "detailing fee." I call him regarding these fees, and his quick response (after "checking with manager") are that the fees cannot be removed. I ask to speak to the manager, and he tells me that he will give me a call, and then cuts me off saying that he considers the deal dead, ending the phone call.

One day later, I am still waiting for the manager to call. I will be contacting the BBB, AoA and corporate officers (thanks Google) in a few hours. Will keep thread updated on progress; bottom line is that if you deal with Vincent Schommer at Audi Manhattan, expect bait & switch and high-pressure sales tactics.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Congrats with finally getting your Volvo fixed. You would most likely be better off with an Audi though :P (sorry Im an audi fan). Only bad thing about the Allroad is that they have the air suspension which tends to go sometimes and will run your bill $$$