Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Audi Manhattan - NYC (horrible)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Maybe you should post this in a more general topic part of the forum for other's to see. I think some guys here on the site might help you out by getting a link to your post here to come up first on Google should anyone search for the dealership.

Also let the dealership know that you've posted your concerns here for other Audi enthusiasts to see and that you're getting responses about their poor service.

Worked for someone else on the forum a while back. The dealership relented and made good with him.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Thanks very much for the recommendation. Any sections that would be appropriate...in your opinion?

Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

Update:

"Patchelect" - I should have taken your Poppa's advice, but that wouldn't change the crap-ethics of this dealership. I had my car towed to another dealership and they hooked it up to their VIDA machine to download all codes and messages from the ECU. The "transmission service / error" messages and codes were date earlier than my purchase date of the vehicle. This other dealership in Bay Ridge, NY, did this for free and their invoice clearly states "Transmission failure. Stuck in 2nd gear. Transmission replacement necessary". I faxed this another letter to Audi Manhattan as well as to all the corporate officers. No response (no surprise). I found poor dealership reviews on Edmunds - I added my $.02. I was also spoke to a service manager at Jack Daniels Audi and the assistant to Jeff Kuhlman (Dir. of Communications of Audi America). The Jack Daniels Service Mgr. said that they've been getting more NYC customers for service and car sale because they were treated so poorly at Audi Manhattan. Even better, the assistant to Kuhlman (I think her name was Ari) was candid and said that though Audi in NYC has very high sales numbers, they also have a very low approval rating and corporate has previously received multiple negative consumer feedback regarding the purchase process and service.

The negative [Audi Manhattan] Google ads are great and hopefully more people are seeing them.

The needle hasn't moved yet, but I'm not done yet either. After meeting with one of the lawyers from NYC Consumer Affairs & Civil Rights dept., she was positive about investigating and sending a letter of inquiry to the dealership and corporate regarding fraud, consumer misinformation, and corporate best practices in NY State. It's a slow process. Even if Audi Manhattan doesn't do the right thing by me, I will at the very least try to divert as many potential Audi buyers to other dealerships in the Tri-State area.

Last edited by Rockginxc; 09-29-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Default not mad at Volvo?

I had the 65K service done and the Volvo dealer charged me over $900 to fix the transmission issue - which it didn't fix. I again took the car back to Audi Manhattan.

Why are you also not mad at Volvo? You stated that you spent $900 and that they did not fix the problem.

I agree that Audi Manhattan sucks but you should have had the car checked out before you purchased it.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

Well...
I went to the Audi Dealer for a good used car that had already been through their "100 point check" (Fahim Mahir told me that's what they do to every trade in vehicle before it's sold to another customer). I have bought/sold many cars in my time privately and have checked out all the vehicles I've bought and have always been honest of the vehicles I've sold. Having a new family, and intense job, and very little time - led me to a dealer, Audi of Manhattan. I stupidly trusted their reputation. I had been buying parts their for a Saab I used to own and later parts for my older Audi for years and years. I went to the dealer because they are supposed to check these vehicles to be safe and in good working order. They were dishonest in every way and then never had the decency to make things right (besides a ridiculous check for a door lock remote).

The attempt at the Volvo dealership...was their "attempt" to fix this issue - but the problem was much greater than they anticipated. Yes, I was upset that they charged me money for the "attempt", but I was even angrier to have confirmation that Audi of Manhattan did sell me a damaged vehicle.

I don't know of anyone that has ever bought a car from a large dealership take the car of interest to another shop for testing before buying. You go to a large dealer because you don't want to deal with this hassle and want to trust a place that you've been going to for year. Audi of Manhattan shot that idea and belief right out the window.

I posted on Craigslist about them and linked it up to this thread. I received this email today (when they were Zumbach...selling Saabs and Audis):

"I would have to agree with you. I bought a saab there once and they made frivolous
repairs without authorization. Never again. I don't consider them a true auto
dealer. I'm sorry for your plight."

Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Rockginxc
Well...
I went to the Audi Dealer for a good used car that had already been through their "100 point check" (Fahim Mahir told me that's what they do to every trade in vehicle before it's sold to another customer). I have bought/sold many cars in my time privately and have checked out all the vehicles I've bought and have always been honest of the vehicles I've sold. Having a new family, and intense job, and very little time - led me to a dealer, Audi of Manhattan. I stupidly trusted their reputation. I had been buying parts their for a Saab I used to own and later parts for my older Audi for years and years. I went to the dealer because they are supposed to check these vehicles to be safe and in good working order. They were dishonest in every way and then never had the decency to make things right (besides a ridiculous check for a door lock remote).

The attempt at the Volvo dealership...was their "attempt" to fix this issue - but the problem was much greater than they anticipated. Yes, I was upset that they charged me money for the "attempt", but I was even angrier to have confirmation that Audi of Manhattan did sell me a damaged vehicle.

I don't know of anyone that has ever bought a car from a large dealership take the car of interest to another shop for testing before buying. You go to a large dealer because you don't want to deal with this hassle and want to trust a place that you've been going to for year. Audi of Manhattan shot that idea and belief right out the window.

I posted on Craigslist about them and linked it up to this thread. I received this email today (when they were Zumbach...selling Saabs and Audis):

"I would have to agree with you. I bought a saab there once and they made frivolous
repairs without authorization. Never again. I don't consider them a true auto
dealer. I'm sorry for your plight."
So if the dealer told you that they tested the car you blindly believe them?
THEN SHAME ON YOU FOR THAT!!! The car is 7 years old and is not one of there own brand. That is just silly on your part. I understand that you may be busy but that is no excuse.
Did you ask what the 100 point inspection included? Did you ask anything or where you like a sheep and just followed what the salesman said. Like I said earlier you seem like a fool for letting them sell you a car that you did not want "I was looking at an Allroad" and then you did not follow up to see if a 7 year old car was mechanically sound.

What I don't get is that if the car was damaged why did you not return with it that same day that you purchased the car?
That you paid Volvo to not fix your car seems asinine to me.
I have a Volvo S40 and several other cars and yes I have some issues at dealers but they never made me pay for a repair that they said they could not fix.
This seems to me that you maybe don't like the car or someother reason and that it is easiest to blame the dealer.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

I work at a dealer in upsate Ny, All our sales men always follow up and send letters to their customers and such, My buddy bought a car from them and they created a huge deal out of it even though we checked to see if it'd be ok to use a dealer plate to get it back up to us before we even went down. The car was a turd. All of our used cars go through check and we are very honest about what it needs. If its something beyond us we send it out to the proper dealer to be fixed right. Customer service score are HUGE for any dealer because it helps them make money , but what I don't understand is why they don't make all of those public. Jack Daniels on the other hand I've never been in but i've been there and it looks like a nice place from the outside. Oh, btw I found this on craigslist so keep posting this all over if you can.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

uh...cliff notes

Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 PM

power to the people

take that stealership DOWN

Old 10-01-2008, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

...And when was the last time you were thinking of buying a car from a dealer and actually took it to another shop to have it looked at before buying it? I would guess that any dealer in a city will not let you take a used vehicle with their dealer plates to get it checked out at another shop...there's no way. They sold me on this car after showing me the Gawd awful green on green Audi Allroad (I'm sorry to offend anyone who owns this exterior/interior color combo, but it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen). I have worked on many cars, but quite frankly...I'm a bit tired of working on cars and wanted to put my trust in a dealership that I've been buying parts from for years...their "100 point" check covers the driveline...so they say. A 7 year old car today being sold from a dealer should be near perfect or all defects should be disclosed to the buyer. After buying and selling 20+ year old German vehicles...I've never been burned or lied to...to this extent by any of the private sellers I've dealt with.

Please bud...I'm not as much of a rube as you think I am or as much of an "in-the-know car guy Superman" as you sound.

Since you really didn't read my original post -- I contacted them the next day and I also tried to return the car and/or get my money back within the first 10-days. They said that they wouldn't take it back at full value and offered me a much lower "wholesale" price and insisted that this would have to be towards a more expensive used vehicle. Plus, they again insisted this was a minor issue...easily fixed. They even took it back into their shop who ok'd it (again), then gave me a $400 "make good" check.

I even sent them an email before picking it up outlining 10 points that needed to be confirmed "in good working order", which included the engine and transmission operation. It's not like I was having a "Blond" day where I forked over the cash and just drove off.

Your cynicism is also ridiculous...the car would have served my needs just fine and it was pretty cool looking for a wagon > black with black leather interior -- my dogs freakin' loved it in the beginning, but they can't drive (yet) and have no opinion (as I do) on the overall crap mechanical condition. It's easy to blame the dealer for no other reason that they are completely dishonest and never once helped remedy the situation in a way that would be reflective of a major automotive brand. I'm blaming the dealer because they knowingly sold a defective product and then collectively masked the truth and failed to make good. I'm blaming the dealer because they deserve the blame. I will take all "foolish" criticism in that I shouldn't have trusted them and by thinking that the buying process would be much better/easier than going through a private sale. I won't make that mistake again.

Perhaps you work for a dealership or did you coincidentally just happen to join this forum yesterday to only comment on my Thread? **No offense to "Shwabmyknob" -- I know not all dealerships are dishonest and I appreciate your comment.

Originally Posted by zukabaker
So if the dealer told you that they tested the car you blindly believe them?
THEN SHAME ON YOU FOR THAT!!! The car is 7 years old and is not one of there own brand. That is just silly on your part. I understand that you may be busy but that is no excuse.
Did you ask what the 100 point inspection included? Did you ask anything or where you like a sheep and just followed what the salesman said. Like I said earlier you seem like a fool for letting them sell you a car that you did not want "I was looking at an Allroad" and then you did not follow up to see if a 7 year old car was mechanically sound.

What I don't get is that if the car was damaged why did you not return with it that same day that you purchased the car?
That you paid Volvo to not fix your car seems asinine to me.
I have a Volvo S40 and several other cars and yes I have some issues at dealers but they never made me pay for a repair that they said they could not fix.
This seems to me that you maybe don't like the car or someother reason and that it is easiest to blame the dealer.

Last edited by Rockginxc; 10-01-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi Manhattan - NYC (horrible)