Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

need help putting in boost gauge and controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 PM
1st Gear
Default need help putting in boost gauge and controller

i just got a vdo boost gauge and a hallman boost controller anyone know how to install them i am new to the turbo seen. i have a 5000cs quattro

Old 04-28-2007, 03:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: need help putting in boost gauge and controller

for the guage run a vacume line fro the intake to the guage .... and a boost controller you don't rally need .. the car already controls the boost

Old 04-28-2007, 04:23 AM
1st Gear

what vac line do i tap into and where do i run the power lines to. but cant i use the boost controller to increase and decrease boost.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: usmcrob6

i just got a vdo boost gauge and a hallman boost controller anyone know how to install them i am new to the turbo seen. i have a 5000cs quattro
Ok, I'm gonna do what I can to help you out here.

For your boost gauge: you need to tap into a vacuum line coming off the intake manifold. The most obvious choices are the lines beneath the bracket that holds the throttle cable because of their size. You can use a simple Pep-Boys "T" to tap into the line. Be sure these lines are a tight seal, you don't want to be leaking out any boost. I attached a couple pictures of my motor, in case you're totally in the dark of where I'm talking about, if this is the case, I highly recommend having someone help you.

Now, the Boost controller, theres a couple important things to take care of:

1) Fix whatever issues you're having before you start turning up the boost. In your other post you were complaining about a running problem at like 4k rpm or something. You need to be sure to fix this first. Start by adding your gauge, keep an eye on it while this issue happens and report back with what's going on. If its an overboost problem, like was mentioned, your boost will rocket up, which implies an issue with your wastegate diaphram. If that *isn't* the case, the next thing would be to pressure test the system. You can make one of these at your local hardware store for like $3.00. If you need directions on how to use it, I can write them.

Now, once that's done, and everything is fixed, you'll be ready for more boost. The first thing to recognize is that this is not a "modern" setup. Simply adding a boost controller to this car, will provide what is called overboost. (Maybe what you're referring to as your issue) The computer recognized that the boost is too high, and simply opens the wastegate, as a precautionary measure. Put simply, you need to tell the computer to allow more boost. There are two things required when adding more boost, more fuel, and modified timing. If you add a controller, crank the boost, and don't change these other two, your car will either overboost and shut down, or start running way lean and blow up. Either way, not good.

The best option for you, (assuming your car is stock) is to do a QLCC modification (with wastegate spring) Doing this will raise your boost level from the (6? psi) that you should be seeing now to approximately 12psi. (remember these numbers are atmospheric) Doing this modification will allow your car to run as safely as it is right now, and will give you a legitimate 50-60 horsepower. You'll be baffled at the change, I sure was.

So once your problem is solved, go here: and send Ben Swann an email. He's a great guy, and the price is cheap. http://www.gtquattro.com/qlcc.html

Feel free to post any other questions, I troll around on this board when Im in the library but don't want to study anymore. heh. Goodluck man

Old 04-28-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

ok how do i put pictures from my comp on here i need to ask a question with some pics

Old 04-28-2007, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

ok i looked in the engine and found a few things i found this hose that is showed in pic. it connects to where my finger is pointing in the other pic what line is this i am not sure if this could be a leak or what.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33777/399F74F4C38249F2B6A50CDB336F4768.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33777/A23AAB86767E4020BA1121C95EF82641.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2007, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

I dont have a car in front of me to look at, but if that hose connects to the one youre pointing to, its very possible that it's causing a problem. Your finger is pointing right at the IM. Anyway, I think the best option for you is to build and use a pressure-tester. Leaks are very hard to find on these things, especially given how many hoses there are, and how old they'll be.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:36 AM
1st Gear

where do i get them and how do i use it

Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

i plugged the boost gauge into that little tube thing and tightend it and it seems to work it says that when i am just at idle i am runnin 20lb of vac and when at full boost before fuel cut off i get 15 lbs of boost well 13 to 15 and right when the fuel cut of it bounced to 21 lbs its crazy

Old 05-02-2007, 06:40 PM

I should post how I installed my guages temporary. No driling.

Quick Reply: need help putting in boost gauge and controller