Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

NEED HELP 1989 AUDI COUPE QUATTRO!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 AM
1st Gear
Default NEED HELP 1989 AUDI COUPE QUATTRO!

Hey guys! I need some help. I drove my coupe to pick up my wife... and after parking, I tried to start the engine again about 10 mintues later.. and she won't turn over!!! Every time I turn the key, the car seems to try to start up but it just never "fires". I was having some battery probs about a week ago from cold weather and letting the car sit for a bit. But my wife has been driving the car for the past week with no problems. Any ideas what can be wrong with it? Its the 5 cylinder 20V engine 5sp tranny. I am going to try and jump it later if it is the battery. I have had a lot of probs with the audi but nothing like this before. Could the alternator be bad?? Any info will help! I am going back later to try and jump the car. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: NEED HELP 1989 AUDI COUPE QUATTRO!

One Simple Battery Test:
1) Connect the voltmeter directly across the "Battery Terminals". (NOT to the Cable Clamps)
2) While watching the meter, Start the Car.
3) The Battery Voltage should Never fall below about 10 Volts.
If it does:
a) The battery is either "Low in Charge".
b) Or The Battery is "Low in Water".
(The water leven in the battery should be about 1/4 of an inch, Above the Plates.)
"DO NOT" Fill it up FULL.
c) Or The battery has a "High Internal Resistance".
(Possibly Sulfided Plates and probably Time for New Battery?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**NOW Repeat This Test BUT:
1) Connect the voltmeter directly across the "Battery Clamps on the Battery Cables".
2) This Reading should be Within 0.1 Volt Maximum, the Same as 3 Above.
***If NOT, Clean Battery Terminals and Clamps.
2a)If Necessary, Repeat Test to Varify it is now OK.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**NOW Repeat This Test Again, BUT:
1) Connect the Voltmeter Directly Across the Positive Terminal of the Starter and it Case Ground.
2) If the voltmeter reading is More than 1/2 Volts Lower than the Previous Test,
** You Probably have a Cable or Connector Problem!
Check the Connections between the Cable and the Cable Connectors. ON BOTH ENDS.
One Very Simple Alternator Test:
1) Start Car and run at a normal idle.
2) Connect a Voltmeter Directly Across the battery Terminals.
3) Turn on Headlights to High Beam.
4) check the battery Voltage.
*** The Battery voltage Should read between about 13.8 to 14.2 volts. (Possibly up to 14.5 Volts.)
5) Increase motor speed to about 1500 RPM. The Alternator should now produce a battery voltage between 14.2 and 14.6
Volts.
*** If it is Lower than 14.2 volts, the Alternator probably has one or more Bad Diodes.
6) Now, Maintain the 1500 RPM and Turn off the Headlights. Run this test for One Full Minute.
"The Battery Voltage should NEVER Exceed about 14.8 Volts".
***If it Does, the Alternators Voltage Regulator is probably Faulty, OVER CHARGING the Battery.

If you don't have a volt meter another way to determine if your battery is bad is to check the alternator.
To do this, start the car then remove the ground cable from the battery.
If the car immediately dies this points to a bad alternator rather than a battery gone bad.
One other way to test your battery is to place it in a different car to see if it will start.
If the car starts and will run for awhile with lights and radio running, the battery is good.
If the juice drains rapidly from the battery while running for a short while the battery needs replaced.

just some ideas for you, good luck

Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: NEED HELP 1989 AUDI COUPE QUATTRO!

thanks for the info. My battery may be bad i dunno, i took it out and put it on a charger. If I can get the car started and bring it home, then i can work on it some more. The battery I have is a bosch silver battery,and its the kind that is sealed (so u cant add water or what not into it). Hopefully, its just the battery. I do have a voltmeter and will try those tests. I just started snowing here in germany today, and i am going to have to wait til it dies down.

Is there anything else that could keep the car from starting? someone said the coil wire, the coil, or the distro.. its just strange that the car started up fine and ran fine until i parked it.. then it just wouldnt start up.

ill update after i put the battery back in the car.