Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

fly by wire problems??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 AM
1st Gear
Default fly by wire problems??

fly by wire problems
hi new to this site and hope somebody can help with my problem!!

i have a 1993 audi 80 tdi with a 1Z engine,when driving and you release the throttle to coast next time throttle is applied there is no response as if the throttle cable has snapped ,but its fly by wire!!dip the clutch engine drops to idle with a slight hiccup then away you go again till the next time throttle is released,it doesnt happen on gear changes or when stationary and if you go straight back on to throttle seems ok.it seems as if when coasting injection is stopped ( fuel economy?)but does not restart when going back to drive again unless left to go back to idle. temp makes no difference as it happens hot or cold .
On another forum found some one else had similar prob and they replaced throttle actuator unit ( hidden in the pedal box!) found a new one on ebay ,have replaced but problem still there .have seen reference to a blue/white speed sensor wire that is cut and cures some running problems,the question is where is it??have seen reference to this problem on other sites but no replys as to the cure.
any help anyone ??
any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Rich hall

Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

Most likely one or more of the throttle or pedal position sensors is bad. There could be 4 or more, I don't know for sure but the age of the car leads me to believe the resistive ink they use to create the sensors may have worn through from the wiper contact rubbing across the sensor element.