Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

circle in broken parentheses inside yellow triangle

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Default circle in broken parentheses inside yellow triangle

My 1988 5000s lit a yellow warning lamp as descirbed in the subject for about 500 miles,then the alternator belt broke. I replaced the belt, this time I will re-tighten it after a few hundred miles so it stays on.

The warning lamp is still lit, and before I clear it (I've read on audiforums for other Audi models to disconnect the battery for an hour or so) can anyone confirm that the lamp did indeed indicate a loose belt? Also,am Iright about how to reset the warning lamp?

Helpful for the future would be a description of any other obscure warning lamps and what theymean. I would presume that they are self-explanatory but here I am wondering about the circle with broken parentheses...

By the way, the 5000s has about 70kon it. It is my first German car, andI love it. It hasdecent torque fora smaller engine (my Grand Am GT had a DOHC 2.3, same disp. as this Audi and while the GT had170 horses, it was a torqueless pig).The Audiis reliable, rides nice,and looks great. Go Germany!

Thank you to anyone who can help me learn this car.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: circle in broken parentheses inside yellow triangle

I think that is the brake warning light...you may need to bleed the brake lines. There is no indication for a loose belt except for some squeaking fllowed by all the warning lights lighting up when it eats the belt. I had this happen on my 5000 recently. Usually a hand tighten on that alternator should work ok or you can brace something against the alternator to make it a little tighter if you like, but don't over tighten it.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:37 PM

I understand the circle with the dashed parentheses, that would be your front brake pad wear indicator.
If the self test circuit is still working it's time for new brake pads. If the circuit wiring is messed up it does mean anything, it's just grounding out to light up the circle with the dashed parentheses. If you can find the owners manual for the car, all the icons in the drivers information center would be explained. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM

100CS,

I hope that's it, since I just bled the lines and it didn't help. I would like to have the owner's manual, I've been watching eBay for one but so far no luck.

I'll look for wiring to the brakes and see if there's some likely problem spot, the pads are beefy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate the input.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

I've got an 89 200 Quattro (aka 5000), and for mine, all i have to do to clear the light is press the button on the left hand side of the gagues (my car has two such buttons, one being the trip odometer reset - on the right - and the other being to reset the warning light you described. as far as i know, the light is a brake pad wear indicator. i usually just leave it be, i don't like to bother with canceling out the light each time i start the car.