Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Audi 80/90 manual tranny swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Audi 80/90 manual tranny swap?

aslo the ECU might be different auto vs. manual

Old 08-10-2006, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

Would you HAVE to switch the ECU, or just make it think its always in park? On 3000GT/Stealths, when you do the auto manual swap, yes the auto ECU is different, but it will still work with the manual.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear

Provided it is an electronically controlled gear box. I don't think that that there is going to be a drastic difference between Auto and Manual ECUs. Going from automatic to manual shouldn't be a big deal. The Auto ECU probably has a wire or two that helps the ATF blender shift gears at optimum rpm for better performance. By the same token there could also be a signal that comes from the transmission to delay/retard ignition timing during shifting.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:47 PM

hmm, you will have to fool the park sensor. The swap should be easy. The engenes are exact. as on auto and manual. So mating should be easy. get the sub frame and mounting from the doonor car.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

I'm starting to rip out the auto stuff now, I'll post sometimes and I'll try & get a total lil write up done, take pics. Would be great anyone that could follow and help with quick questions.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 PM

dont worry we are here to suport ya, arhhhh.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

Alright here for my first question.

Finally got the (#^$&@ tranny out. Quite the auto tranny job, ahh working on these types of cars... not your dime a dozen Ford.

There only seemed to be one electrical connection on the tranny, besides that just a couple cables/etc to manually actuate things. I assume this connection is the only thing telling the computer if the tranny is in park/etc. Maybe someone can identify it for me, 3 terminal connector located above the driver's side axle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...auditranny.jpg
Wire colors are black w/ green stripe, brown w/ red stripe, & brown.

It would be fantastic if fooling the park sensor is as simple as crossing two of those wires.

I have the factory repair manual, if any information I need is in there maybe someone can point me to the right place.

I'm gonna spend tomorrow in the junk yard on the manual tranny car.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:03 AM

I think its speed sensor. unless you have cable driven spedo. then can be reverse and park, or just park.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Yeah thats gotta be the speed sensor.

Spent the day at the junk yard. I'm gonna need the junk yard axles/hubs (I believe my car is ABS and the manual tranny car is not, auto axles are different length anyway). The speed sensor plug should plug right into the manual tranny. An extra plug that was just hanging loose in my car should also plug into the manual tranny. Shifter stuff should bolt up. Hole will have to be drilled for the master cylinder, then everything should bolt up. I have to check out the pedal stuff more tomorrow. Flywheel and all that stuff should bolt up. I'm hoping the starter is the same, will see in a bit.

The 1 transmission mount is in fact different for the manual tranny car. Piece welded to the subframe that isn't there on my auto car. I have two options; 1 - fabricate a new mount to connect between the mount on the manual tranny and and the location of the auto mount on my car body. 2 - get a grinder and generator out in the junk yard and cut off that extra piece of the subframe thats on the manual car, weld it onto the body of my car at home. One or the other I'll make it work, will get the tranny home and up in the car to decide.

pics of car at home now:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...dinotranny.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...inotranny1.jpg

Old 09-10-2006, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

The junk yard car has no key, the wheel is locked of course can't turn to one side or the other. Locked right in the middle seems to interfere with the tranny coming completely off, I had to turn to one side to get my auto off at home. What do I have to do to break the steering lock in the junk yard with no key?

Quick Reply: Audi 80/90 manual tranny swap?