Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

'92 Audi 100 S Rear Light (Brake?) Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear
Default '92 Audi 100 S Rear Light (Brake?) Setup

Ok, so I just posted a question about the same car not going into park thing, which is perhaps a bit vague and more of a complicated issue than someone can answer. This one is easy though I think.

The dash is telling me a bulb is out. The thing is the following seems to work:

Headlights
Front and rear turn signals
Parking lights
Reverse lights
Center brake light
Outer right and left brake light.

There is however a bulb on the rear left that doesn't illuminate in any of the scenarios. Its right next to the reverse light inside the trunk lid. On the right side, there is no bulb, but upon inspecting it, the bulb housing appears completely different than it does on the left. There is no bulb or wiring for a bulb on the right passenger side. It looks totally different than the left side. It is capped off, I guess is how I would describe it. Again, this is the bulb directly next to the reverse bulb inside the trunk lid. I'm assuming this light is also for the brakes, since the reflective cover on the outside of the trunk is red, but like I said the outer bulbs (parking lights) get brighter when the brake pedal is depressed.

Maybe someone who has a similar model Audi 100 and knows what I'm talking about. I'm sure this is why the bulb warning is on, on the dash. I could replace the left (driver's side) bulb which doesn't light up, but it doesn't look burnt out and the thing I'm most confused about is why its not the same setup on the right side.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: '92 Audi 100 S Rear Light (Brake?) Setup

Well I think I answered my own question.

The one light next to the reverse light in the rear on the driver's side is a rear fog light. Not sure why there isn't one on the passenger side, but that appears to be the setup.

The bulb out indicator from the dash computer display is because one of the high beams is out.

I don't know if anyone will ever need this info, but I figured since I figured it out and solved my own bafflement I'd post it here in case anyone ever wondered!

I'm still trying to figure out the won't go into Park thing though.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

how is the tranny cable doing ... and check if there is a lock for the P position coming from the brake pedal and does it work good

Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks InExile. I'll check for the lock. Can this be removed if its there? The Tranny thing is weird. I thought it probably was some sort of lock to do with the brake. I know a lot of cars have a sensor or seleniod that prevents the car from being move out of park unless the brake is applied.

I suspect this might be the problem. However as luck would have it, my wife drove the car yesterday and now it works perfectly fine! The shifter moves freely to all positions. Now normally I think you are supposed to push down to get it to move, but it seems to move without doing so.

At any rate, I told her she was a mechanical genious and thanked her for fixing it.

I have a feeling it might be a sensor to do with the brake still. I suspect its old and quirky, and won't be surprised if the same thing happens again. I just hope it doesn't get locked while its engaged in Park! I know its there for safety, but to prevent it from getting stuck again at some point I'd remove the locking mechanism if I can without interferring with any functionality of the car.