Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

1990 Coupe Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Default 1990 Coupe Quattro

This is my first post on this forum. It probably will not be my last. I need some help with my Coupe with 20V engine that I bought recently. Background is car arrived from New York, stopped running, had the ECU, Distrubutor and coil replaced. Owner decided to leave it and return to New York. I purchased not running just had to these are just really nice looking vehicles. I have replaced the ECU(didn't know it had been replaced) The engine will fire and try to idle if starting fluid is sprayed in the intake. Without starting fluid engine just turns over. The starting fluid leads me to believe that there is a problem with fuel delivery. The injectors ohm at 2.4 ohms or less and appear to have 12 volts switching while cranking. The fuel pump runs and there is a good deal of preassure at the fuel rail. Is it possible that even though there is some fuel preassure that there just might be too little to allow it to inject any fuel or is it possible for fuel to return to the tank before enough preassure builds up? I do not have a preassure gauge. I should be able to pull codes next week as my cable set should arrive and I plan to connect it to a laptop. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ken K

Old 01-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Default RE: 1990 Coupe Quattro

okey, thats good info.
Well my steps would be to check if the fuel goes to the injectors. it can be done safe or not. first unplug any one of injectors and use like a bottle from coke to pure the fuel into it while you crank. <<Safe other is to unscrew a bit from injector and see if while you crank fuel will shot out. <<Unsafe
if the fuel goes to the injector, then I would take one injector out and the same as bottle test see if fuel will be ejected from the nozle of the injector. it does okey.
then I would check for spark, even though engine starts w/ starting fluid It can be ignited by it self. it does okey.
Then I would check the timing, if its off car wont start or will but wont work right.

there is more but this are basics.
PS I believe that you have CIS system not MFI, right.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:45 PM

rubber intake pipe to the intake manifold split

Old 01-23-2006, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear

20V use EFI!

Go to 20V.org, lots of good info for these cars.