Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

1989 Audi 100 ... electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 1989 Audi 100 ... electrical?

I got a 1989 Audi 100 that I am driving in Louisiana. It was in Iowa for the past few years with my dad who was replacing many parts. This is my first Audi and have found things to be a bit different from the cars I have worked on. So many sensors and special parts here and there.
Right now my biggest issue is in the electrical. I can tell you a few things that its doing, and maybe this is all related to one issue. If you can give me any ideas on what to replace or check, I sure would appreciate it. My nearest Audi dealer is 4 hours from me and they don't really have what they need to hook up my car to tell what is going on. Main problem now is I don't have heat!
I have my climate control box (the heater and a/c control box) that isn't doing anything. Not turning on, can't get nothing from it. I have 3 and I know for sure 2 worked in the cars I pulled them from. The other one was sent in to be refurbished. I really need to know what would cause them not to function. I have checked the obvious, with fuses and replaced every relay in the car.
I do have other electrical issues, such as the dummy light for my brights will be on when I have dim lights on. The dummy light goes off with my brights turned on. Also, when I use my blinkers with the headlights on, the blinker lights on the dash blink back and forth. The arrows will. With the lights off, I only see the arrow blink for which way I am turning.
I also have the original stereo in the car. It won't work as well. Looked thru wires and it is all plugged up from what I can see. With this issue, if my door dinger sounds healthy, I can click the radio on and it lights up but as soon as I search for a station it will power off and I can't do nothing with it. Now if the door dinger sounds sick, the radio will not power on at all. Silly to put it in those terms but really the dinger on the door is really like that. Most times its not the correct sound and it sounds like crap.
I also have the anti-lock system that I can't turn on with the button in the console area ( mine is above the stereo where the rear defrost is, push button)
My speedo is new, I put the plug in and it shows my speed for me, but won't keep track of my miles. Sometimes it will bounce when I get up to 50mph and then a short time later it will start to work properly.
Like I said, not sure if any of these things will go along with why my climate control will not work. I am just trying to get this car going again and getting all the things to work on it. I have saved the hard parts for last. Once I figure out how to get this all fixed, then it will be ready for the paint and new interior.
The only thing that I have not tried to go thru is anything in the steering column area. I know with blinkers and lights and all that jazz, there might be something like a sensor or something that needs to be replaced.
Just really need to know where to begin to address some issues here.