Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

*Help* Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: *Help* Car Won't Start

Engine does not turn over just the clicking sound. Are there any relays to check? Or just the starter
thanks

Old 07-09-2006, 01:41 PM

constant clicking means the battery doesn't have the cranking amps have you tried boost starting it

Old 07-10-2006, 11:04 AM

you will have to check the voltage of the battery when you try to start
if it falls below 8V or 9V then you have bad battery, but if the voltage stays, then you have to check ether the starter it self, or the solenoin.
many times solenoid goes bad, rather that starter.
and most of the times, the contacts in the solenoid go bad.

There is a way to check, if its the solenoid or the starter. but on a V6 you will have to remove the starter from the car. couse it be a PITA to get to the terminals.
If you want I can write the procedure, its easy, and is not rocket science.

PS check the voltage at the battery, then check the voltage in the car after the battery. Cold be the cable, but LOW, VERY LOW posebility.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

It Turned out to be the Camshaft position sensor. I would recommend that you pull up the trouble code to pinpoint the cause.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Angry cranks but will not start

Hi guys,

I have a AUDI A6 2.6L 1994 V6,

A few days a go my car when trying to start didn't, then I gave it 15 mins and then tried then it started without an issue, after that one day when I tried to start it it didn't, so I gave it 15 mins and tried, no luck, therefore I removed the battery terminal and gave it 5 mins and tried it again, then it started, 2 days ago the same thing happened, I tried waiting the 15 mins, removed terminals, but no luck this time, then after a few hours of checking oil levels cable connections etc... I decided to get my battery fully charged, today it got the battery and fixed it up and fired the engine, it still cranks but no luck on starting, I am not a techy guy so basic info on if I can get this started please!!

BTW, all indicators are fine, no issues to be seen except for not starting