Audi is a whole in your pocket

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi is a whole in your pocket

So I have just sold my car to buy an Audi s4. I have talked to a couple people, two of whome own shops, one which specializes in imoports. Both mechanics say that Audi makes nice cars, but they tend to "brea" alot, and being an Audi, they are very pricy to fix. True ? False?

I can understand that parts to fix or upgrade can run pretty high. But do they really need a lot of work?

Any inquiries please.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

True..its not American so chea..

Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear

a "HOLE" in your pocket if that's what you mean , is true and false. Like any vehicle, Audi's do have issues that any vehicle has. The advantage we have here is the desire to fix and maintain our cars and have the utmost respect and desire to make them "showroom" perfect (if not better ))) gives us the driveto keep them in top performance shape. You will learn alot from this and other forums if you really want to. I bought my first one about three years ago (still have it ) and bought another. I will not buy anything other than an Audi from this point forward. It;s up to you man. You got your foot in the pool.... you gonna jump in?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

Just do know maintenance is higher than your average Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc.. repairs

Old 08-21-2008, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

ha, ya i did mean "hole." Thanks for the advice. I have a feelin im going to be jumpin in soon

Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

Get a car that qualifies for an extended factory warranty and you will have no worries. Audi has been great about warranty repairs for me. They even find stuff to fix when I bring it in. They discovered some torn bushings in the suspension and replaced them. They also provide a loaner for overnight service and free local shuttle any time.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ChrisAz
Get a car that qualifies for an extended factory warranty and you will have no worries. Audi has been great about warranty repairs for me. They even find stuff to fix when I bring it in. They discovered some torn bushings in the suspension and replaced them. They also provide a loaner for overnight service and free local shuttle any time.
You got lucky, I got stuck 3 weeks with no loaner (they "offered" a rental toyota corolla for $25/day, asshats) while my mechanic was "sick" for the last 3 days while they did transmission work for $5,000. Haven't had any issue with it since though.

As far as do they break often, no, they don't. But, when they do... Set aside a couple grand (I know that makes me sound like a rich snob, but just start a savings account and toss in a hundred or so a week and you'll be there in no time) for the car. Pretend you don't even have it for anything else. Just keep it for when the day comes and you hear that sound that sends a chill down your spine. If you have that set aside (consider it already "spent), you will love your Audi for many years.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 PM

You will need more than a few grand around. My water pump siezed up and caused the cambelt to disintegrate. This caused the valves to bend and now the dealer wants $9000 to fix it. The car only has 52000 miles on it.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by douwd20
You will need more than a few grand around. My water pump siezed up and caused the cambelt to disintegrate. This caused the valves to bend and now the dealer wants $9000 to fix it. The car only has 52000 miles on it.
I guess I meant in general, keep that account full. My clutch completely grenaded and took the transmission case with it, costing me $4973 and 3 weeks with no ride. Two months after i bought it.

I agree, saying a couple grand was a bit of an understatement.

Would I have bought the car knowing I would have had to spend 5 grand on it in 2 months? You bet your *** I would, however I would have taken it to a different stealership. I know Wade Walker in northern Vermont personally and he runs an Audi dealership, and he is about the nicest guy I know. Its a bit of a jaunt to get there, but I'd have had my car back a hell of a lot sooner. Which brings me to my next point, Dealer Reviews (here) and Carfax are my two single most important buying tools, next to Edmunds.com to make sure I get a decent price.

*edit*
And my car was 5 years old with only 54,000 (at the time) miles.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 AM

that sucks!! call audi of america maybe they can help?.. what year what motor?

Quick Reply: Audi is a whole in your pocket