B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Problem with cupholder springloaded catches

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Problem with cupholder springloaded catches

Is there a way to disable the 3 springloaded catches in the 2010 A4 front cupholders in the center console? The catches are really stiff, and it is hard to put any coffee cup like starbucks or dunkin donuts coffee in the large cupholder without having to push/pull forcibly. The small cupholder is quite useless for any coffee cup, and works only with bottled water.

I tried to duck-tape them in, but the springs in the catches are too strong for the tape which peeled out overnight. I am considering super-gluing them in now, but want to hear about experiences from others before taking the drastic step.

Everything else about the B8 rocks, except for the pathetic cupholder which is a pain.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 AM

I know what you mean. I have an 08 MB C300 with the same type setup but they are both larger and the tension is not quite as strong...seems to be a little friendlier to paper cups.
If they are high tensile steel, there is not much that can be done. If they are just common steel, maybe keeping something in there to fully depress them for a week or two will weakin the springs...I kinda doubt it though. Otherwise, does anyone have a schematic on how to remove the console...if you can get the springs out or get access to them, you may be able to crimp the springs a bit with some needle nose pliers, etc.