B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Got an Audi for my wife, damn good trade.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Got an Audi for my wife, damn good trade.

Taking delivery today of a 2010 Avante Prem+ black on black with B+O sound system. Its our first Audi so we are excited about it. The dealer gave use $4500 for a P.O.S. Honda Element with electircal issues. I wasnt going to miss an opportunity to get rid of it.

On our test drive we coludnt get our I pod or I phone to sync with the AMI. We dont have the navigation system but we do have the i pod conector in the glove box. The cable we have is I believe all black, I will confirm tonight.

Maybe there was something we were doing wrong, is the i pod supposed to just work when it is connected or do I have to set something up to make it read. We connected i pod, pushed media button and nothing would show up. I know this has been talked about many times before in the forms and I have read many of the posts, but I cant find a cut and dry answer. Maybe there isnt one.

Can someone please help start me in the right direction as to how to get this thing to work. What should I try first, a new cable, updating the IOS, software update for the car?

Fixing this will really make my wife happy, I like it when she is happy.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

The cable that you'd need for your car should have a blue collar/grommet on the 90 degree ami side of the cable. It should be part number 4F0 051 510 K.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response... I just checked the cable and I was wrong it turns out I have the cable with the blue grommet. Does that mean I need the cable with the black gromet.

here are the car specifics again

2010 Audi a4 avante
No navigation
I pod AMI in glove box

Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM
5th Gear

can you post the part number for the cable you have? it's supposed to be as easy as plug in and press media button. does it say anything on the screen when you press the media button?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

The cable I have has the same part number that Jeff mentioned above 4f0 051 510k and It has the blue grommet. The stereo has Audi Concert written on it above the cd player.

When I hook up any of our 4 I-products to it and press the media button the screen says no connection. Could it be that I need the all black cable or a software up date?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

It's possible you have the dock for the cable, but don't have AMI installed. If you can provide me your VIN # I can check for you.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

That would be awesome if you could look up the vin for me. The vin is WAUWFAFL1AA116381. I'm surprised that they would put the I pod connector into the car but not link it to the stereo.

Isn't there something in the trunk that will tell me what options the car came with. I saw a small tag in the spare tire well that had a bunch of numbers on it. Not sure if that is it or where I Can get the info on how to read it.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Your vin shows your car came with a cd changer in the glove box. Was that removed? Do you have an ipod dock that looks like this picture below? If not do you already have a cable coming out of the glove box? I assume you don't otherwise your question would have been why doesn't my ipod fit this cable sticking out of the glove box. Plus you've already mentioned you have the blue cable so I assume you do have this dock and the cable you have does fit the dock and your ipod. What generation ipod do you have? I know you don't have MMI, so somebody could have installed a dock as shown in the picture but maybe there is a problem with the harness from the dock to the back of the radio. Firmware updates to your car are done through the cd changer that should be in the glove box. We have customers that bring in their glove box mounted cd changer when a firmware update is required. The tech then swaps the ipod dock out for the cd changer and does the update, then swaps them back. Let me know, interested in what you have.

Attached Thumbnails Got an Audi for my wife, damn good trade.-121712ipoddock.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

We have the AMI that is in the picture above. Not sure about a cd changer, there is nothing else in the glove box. Would it have been in the same slot as the current AMI? Our I pod is I think a 2008 the Nano is a 2010 the I phone is a 3GS and a second generation I pad non of which worked.

If someone had a cd changer and wanted to upgrade to an I pod player would it be that cut and dry. Pull out the cd changer and replace with the Ami?

What do you recommend for a next step to get this thing to work? Do I need a software update and if so do I need the cd changer to do it?

This feature was one of the reasons we chose this car so I really want to get it working please help me figure this out, my wife is getting discouraged.

Last edited by dklein90; 12-17-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

I just spoke to someone at audi usa parts and I couldn't be more pleased with the service I received. They took the time to explain the different systems and my options from this point. It sounds like my car did originally come with the 6 disc player and then was converted over to the AMI.

My next step is to go to the dealership for a software update and if that doesn't work then it's a replacement cable part # 4f0 051 510e.

Last edited by dklein90; 12-19-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Got an Audi for my wife, damn good trade.