B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

First problem w/ the 09 A4 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Default First problem w/ the 09 A4 2.0T

So I have been hearing this grinding noise coming from the engine bay when I accelerate... but it only happens when i'm pulling away from a speed bump at like 1/4 to 1/2 throttle... it almost sounds like a bottle cap stuck in an insinkerator....but not as harsh... so I went to the dealer and had a guy ride along and he thinks it is the wastegate which makes sense because I put synthetic in that engine at like 4k miles so the turbo and ball bearings should be good..thats what I was worried about... so hopefully its a faulty wastegate and they just swap it out.... he said that they have been having some problems with the wastegates... they only had a toyota corolla loaner... so thats what I'm rollin around in... it really shows me how lucky we are to be driving such nice cars... I step on the throttle in that yota and nothing happens...I feel so bad for the millions of people driving stupid underpowered cheap cars like that....

Last edited by takethetest; 09-29-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:37 PM

I also brought up the low speed steering shudder with the guy while he was in my car and he really didn't say much about it... he was saying how he went to a conference about it in texas or something.. but he really didn't say much... not surprising... they just will not admit that it is a design flaw which it so clearly is... he said they are "investigating" it... i.e. shitting their pants because they realize they have thousands of cars out there that have this flaw and it will cost them an astronomical amount of money to fix all of them under warranty...

Last edited by takethetest; 09-29-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by takethetest
I also brought up the low speed steering shudder with the guy while he was in my car and he really didn't say much about it... he was saying how he went to a conference about it in texas or something.. but he really didn't say much... not surprising... they just will not admit that it is a design flaw which it so clearly is... he said they are "investigating" it... i.e. shitting their pants because they realize they have thousands of cars out there that have this flaw and it will cost them an astronomical amount of money to fix all of them under warranty...
Not quite true. See the low speed power steering shudder post recently updated (and other posts on the forum). If it's a hose, it's no big deal for them to fix.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-30-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 PM

ohh so their is talk about the hose being the problem... I am going back to the dealer as soon as they say to take your cars in for the fix..

Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM

so I got my car back today and the guy said that the noise is the selenoid clicking that switched the valves from low to high lift.... I made him get another car so I could test drive it because he said that they all do it.... So I test drove another 2.0T and it definitely did not make as much noise as my car.... so i wasn't sold on the whole "they all do it" thing in regards to the selenoids... they all have the low speed steering wheel shudder thats for damn sure..

he basically said to me that this noise is what I'm going to have to live with...

all I am saying to all of you out there, if you hear this unpleasant grinding noise coming from your engine when you are accelerating.. it's apparently the noise of the selenoids clicking and it is just something we are going to have to live with...

I need to get the AWE exhaust to drown out that damn noise asap...

I prob will go back in a few months and demand that they swap the selenoids out for new ones....

Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 PM

So I drove the car after my last post and I refuse to believe that this is an "ok" sound.. something is definitely not right... I was watching the 3d simulations videos of the Audi valve-lift system and I am convinced that the guy at the dealership was lying to me... the valve-lift system used a pin that clicks into place to slide the valve lobe into the high rpm position or low rpm position.. this is done within 2 rotations of the camshaft... so why is my car continuously making this noise when I am on the throttle??? this guy is obviously full of it and I will be going back to let him know this... i'll keep ya posted..

Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Talk with the manager at the dealership. This is warranty work, so why would they just do a band aid fix and not go for a complete fix?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

I cant drive in nobody's corolla,civic,kia,etc cause they all feel like lawn mower engines prob cause my car pushes 360 awhp.....

Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM

i went up to audi north scottsdale just now and went on a test drive with a service guy and he heard the noise i am talking about and we went on another drive with a similar car and once again the other car did not make the noise my car makes... so i set up an appointment for tues... i told the guy i do not want a phone call with no result... i said to him soo if you guys can't figure out what the problem is then what?.. and he said that audi calls in engineers to solve problems like this... bottom line.. i am not picking up my car if it still makes that noise.. i will refuse to sign for it...

Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Banned

Right on. When it comes to noise complaints, the mechanics never hear them...or at least they pretend not to hear them.

Quick Reply: First problem w/ the 09 A4 2.0T