B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

B8 handling much worse than B6 or B7

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear
Default B8 handling much worse than B6 or B7

I've waited impatiently to replace my 10 yr old B6 A4 Avant with the larger, better, nicer-looking '09. I am dismayed at the poor handling of both the sedan and the Avant. They "float" around like a Volvo and the steering has lost the wonderful Audi goes-where-you-point-it feel. After so many reviews touting the improved handling, I am severely disappointed and have headed back toward the local BMW dealer. I do love the size, style and feel of the car--until I drive it.

In retrospect, I notice the web reviews almost universally tested the Prestige with Drive Select. So, it appears they crapped up the base Audi and you need to spend ~$8k extra to get back to handling similar to my old 1998 A4 (or the very similar 2008 A4).

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and that there is a better solution than a 328xi wagon (a bit too small for my Great Pyrenees and my lifestyle).

For now, I'm stepping back and hoping the floatiness can be fixed with a sport suspension (none available to test yet). The light-weight steering probably doesn't go away without Drive Select, but I can probably live with it.

Am I missing something? Is the handling of the base 2009 A4 better than I think? I'm surprised to see no hint of this poor handling in the media reviews.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

I drove the '09 demo, too. It was the base model and I agree, the handling isn't all that great. If handling is at the top of your list, nothing beats a BMW in my opinion. To get similar handling out of the A4, you need to get Drive Select and/or get the S-line package with Sports suspension. (But now you're talking a lot more $$$).

Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Does anyone think the sport suspension alone will fix it?

I'm disappointed in Audi for degrading the A4. I have a '98 A4 and an '04 allroad and am still hoping to swap the old A4 for a new one.

If the simple addition of the sport suspension will make this new car drive like my '98, then I'll go for it.

But if I need to ante up to the Prestige so I can then buy Drive Select--well, that will send me either to a BMW 382xi or to a Subaru Outback (it drives almost as well as the new base A4 and it can at least get me to the end of the fire road just like my aging allroad)

Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

I've driven the B8 twice, in 2.0T non-sport form. The first time I was unimpressed with the handling. The second time, on more challenging roads, I liked it better, but it's still no BMW. I've heard good things about the Drive Select, but as others note that adds a lot to the price.

Do the B6 and B7 you're comparing it to have the regular or sport suspension?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 PM

what b6 is 10 years old?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:45 PM

i have no idea what's going on right now

Old 10-04-2008, 01:08 AM
1st Gear
Default '98 B5 drives better--no sport suspension

I've driven the B8 twice, in 2.0T non-sport form. The first time I was unimpressed with the handling. The second time, on more challenging roads, I liked it better, but it's still no BMW. I've heard good things about the Drive Select, but as others note that adds a lot to the price.

Do the B6 and B7 you're comparing it to have the regular or sport suspension?

================================================== =====
I guess my '98 is actually a B5. It does not have sport suspension and it's suspension is clearly not what it used to be at 10 yrs and 94,000 miles. But it still has a better feel in some ways than the new '09. I intend to go back and try again--especially when sport suspension arrives. Maybe I will get used to it.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

B8 in premium plus is much better. Different car though in the senses its now more a luxury sport car. Large car so smother rahter than tighter in hanlding. THere is a difference.

IF you wnat ahnlding you get a porshce 911 not a BMW

Old 10-12-2008, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

make that a Porsche 911 not a BMW for handling...

Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 PM

the car seems longer and slimer (less wide) to me... not good characteristics when you want a better handling car

Quick Reply: B8 handling much worse than B6 or B7