B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Audi's Dirty Secrets on CVT

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by coach
Ethan......you're beginning to sound like the salesman that sold us this Audi with the freaked-up transmission. He refereed to my old Lexus as a glorified Toyota. Stated that Audi was a level 2 built car and Lexus was a level 3....level 1 I guess been a Lamborghini. Don't be a jerk. If Audi has resolved it's oil consumption problem why are my exhaust tip alway caked with black soot??? I have a friend with a Lexus that has 300K on the original motor, never had an issue of any kind. Come back to us when you've got evidence Audi motors can show that kind of longevity/reliability.

FYI...ya'll need to know Audi is also finicky about gas and you need to go to the toptiergas.com site. I find it interesting my Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a Penstar V6, can burn rot gut, haul a trailer, get 20-25 mpg and still shows no evidence of soot on the exhaust pipe. Imagine that....American car?

I should have read all the crap on this forum, read the problem reviews, and been a better informed consumer, but I suck, didn't because I didn't feel I needed to. These days, always do your homework no matter what you buy or how much you pay.

This forum is to inform....and I would like to see good success stories as well as things to watch out for.
yes audi is finicky about gas because they are German cars and in Germany they dont have **** gas like we do in america, their cars are tuned and built and tested on GOOD gas. bring them to america put **** *** gas from **** gas station on the corner of crapy and sketchy and yea you will have problems.

also i dont know what to say about the soot thing, i've never heard of such a random complaint.. i mean every car that comes thru our dealer gets detailed. so normally the car is clean.. so i've never heard of such a random complaint about crazy soot on the exhaust..
but im sorry about that, have you taken it to the dealer for them to look at? or clean for you?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by EthanB5( auditek)
yes audi is finicky about gas because they are German cars and in Germany they dont have **** gas like we do in america, their cars are tuned and built and tested on GOOD gas. bring them to america put **** *** gas from **** gas station on the corner of crapy and sketchy and yea you will have problems.

also i dont know what to say about the soot thing, i've never heard of such a random complaint.. i mean every car that comes thru our dealer gets detailed. so normally the car is clean.. so i've never heard of such a random complaint about crazy soot on the exhaust..
but im sorry about that, have you taken it to the dealer for them to look at? or clean for you?
Most ridiculous response yet. No one care to hear about how to Clean the exhaust tips...If there is that much soot on the exhaust what does the inside of the engine look like? If you haven't seen it you're not paying attention.

I don't live in Germany and could care less about the quality of the gas there. Other auto manufactures make adjustments to conditions and gas here in the US.

Are you even old enough to drive? You lack technical knowledge and experience....simply trained by Audi on to what to say or how to do minor maintenance. Go back to working on your Japanese motor bikes.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by coach
Most ridiculous response yet. No one care to hear about how to Clean the exhaust tips...If there is that much soot on the exhaust what does the inside of the engine look like? If you haven't seen it you're not paying attention.

I don't live in Germany and could care less about the quality of the gas there. Other auto manufactures make adjustments to conditions and gas here in the US.

Are you even old enough to drive? You lack technical knowledge and experience....simply trained by Audi on to what to say or how to do minor maintenance. Go back to working on your Japanese motor bikes.
Based on the quality of his posts we can only assume if he does work for Audi that he is the one they send out for coffee. I try not to take his post seriously. My experience with Audi is that it is a nice car but not a great car. I believe it is not rated in the top 10 most sold cars in the US. It should be interesting to see the oil consumption results in the new Cadillac and Jaguar 2.0L turbo 4. Oh the difference between the darkened exhaust tips on other cars vs Audi is the Audi has signs of oil baked on. If you have the chrome or SS tips it becomes difficult to remove. Every time you walk past one just take a look , they all are the same.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

It is all too familiar to hear the dissapointment of customer's when they purchase a CVT transmission but they do serve a purpose and if the sales person had done a better job to of informed you on the quirks of a CVT then you may of feel better abou the vehicle you purchased or at the very least had enough information to have known it was not the vehicle you were looking for and walked away with a Quattro and be loving it right now. I don't want to stir the pot anymore then it already has been but no car manufacturer is perfect. I have worked for Mercedes, BMW, and now Audi/Lamborghini. I personally love Audi's and would never own another brand but thats just me. There are litterally thousands of people out there that love the specific brands (Lexus, Audi, BMW, Merceded, etc..) and it really comes down to the buying experience and making sure the car you buy fits your needs and expectations. A little research before hand may of helped you avoid the dissapointment of the CVT purchase because that transmission was made for MPG federal requiremtents, not performance. The CVT definitely has some drawbacks if you don't know them and accept them ahead of time. I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience and hope you might be able to talk to the dealer you bought the car from and have a chnace to experience a Quattro vehicle that sounds like it will better suit your expecatations. I havent worked on many Lexus's personally but I don't think they are a bad car, just not much too them, which is part of what makes them a good car. They don't have much technology compariitively speaking and are mostly a modified corolla or camry chasis but once again depending on what you want out of your car that isn't a bad thing. On a final note the reason that you notice so much carbon(soot) deposit on the exhaust tips is a byproduct of FSI (directly injected gasoline) versus port injected which is what lexus and older technology cars use. The benefit to FSI is you get better power number, and fuel economy, because fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber creating a cooler and more complete burn. The down side is now there is now fuel hitting the backside of the intake valves to keep them clean so carbon builds up and during heavy acceleration the carbos on the valves get burned off/seperated and flow down the exhaust stream sticking to the metal. This doesn't mean its a bad thing just a byproduct. Audi stands behind their vehicle more then any manufacturer I have ever worked for but it comes down to getting the right car for your needs and expectations. I hope you have better luck on your next purchase and don't hold the failure of a salemen against the Audi brand.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

sincityaudi........Thank You. Now that is exactly the kind of feedback/response I & others here are looking for. We are here for answers and explanations.

The CVT issue is what got me started, the rest was simply a by-product. I love this Audi from a performance, appearance & quality stand point. The CVT caught me off guard, but I am becoming more & more comfortable with the reliability provided you do the proper maintenance on it. Would I prefer a Quattro ?....Yes. I have what I have and just need guidance in what to do and look out for.

Over this last month I explored what is required to get the best out of the Audi.......as well as......reminded myself why I picked the Audi over BMW & Lexus. Our salesmen dropped the ball and referred to the Lexus as a glorified Toyota and in response to that Lexus refers to Audi as a glorified VW. Car salesmen just can't help themselves, just in their DNA.

So, Thanks again for your comments and helpful explanation for the soot issue. I'm sure others here appreciate it as well. The positive side of the CVT is smoothness, gas mileage, & on models after 2009, improved redesign. I'm using Sport Mod around town and in the mountains and D on the highways. Unless otherwise it blows-up it will get the opportunity to prove it to be a good choice.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by sincityaudi
It is all too familiar to hear the dissapointment of customer's when they purchase a CVT transmission but they do serve a purpose and if the sales person had done a better job to of informed you on the quirks of a CVT then you may of feel better abou the vehicle you purchased or at the very least had enough information to have known it was not the vehicle you were looking for and walked away with a Quattro and be loving it right now. I don't want to stir the pot anymore then it already has been but no car manufacturer is perfect. I have worked for Mercedes, BMW, and now Audi/Lamborghini. I personally love Audi's and would never own another brand but thats just me. There are litterally thousands of people out there that love the specific brands (Lexus, Audi, BMW, Merceded, etc..) and it really comes down to the buying experience and making sure the car you buy fits your needs and expectations. A little research before hand may of helped you avoid the dissapointment of the CVT purchase because that transmission was made for MPG federal requiremtents, not performance. The CVT definitely has some drawbacks if you don't know them and accept them ahead of time. I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience and hope you might be able to talk to the dealer you bought the car from and have a chnace to experience a Quattro vehicle that sounds like it will better suit your expecatations. I havent worked on many Lexus's personally but I don't think they are a bad car, just not much too them, which is part of what makes them a good car. They don't have much technology compariitively speaking and are mostly a modified corolla or camry chasis but once again depending on what you want out of your car that isn't a bad thing. On a final note the reason that you notice so much carbon(soot) deposit on the exhaust tips is a byproduct of FSI (directly injected gasoline) versus port injected which is what lexus and older technology cars use. The benefit to FSI is you get better power number, and fuel economy, because fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber creating a cooler and more complete burn. The down side is now there is now fuel hitting the backside of the intake valves to keep them clean so carbon builds up and during heavy acceleration the carbos on the valves get burned off/seperated and flow down the exhaust stream sticking to the metal. This doesn't mean its a bad thing just a byproduct. Audi stands behind their vehicle more then any manufacturer I have ever worked for but it comes down to getting the right car for your needs and expectations. I hope you have better luck on your next purchase and don't hold the failure of a salemen against the Audi brand.
there we go, thanks for describing the FSI. been to busy to get online, beat me to it, but well put. all questions have been answered.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Default CVT does not respond at all

Hi,
I have a problem I cant figure out. I start the car and when change the gears there is no response from the tranny.I lifted the front axels so the wheels can spin free but still...gas pedal is down and the wheels dont move at all.
I know the modules are not working quite often but after checking it with VAg still no codes. I asume itțs a mechanical failure of the chain or something else.
P.S
After I give it a little gas and put the lever back in P, it makes a rattling noise, like some gears are shreded. thanks for any suggestions.