B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

AMI & BlackBerry- Difference Between 1/8" & MicroUSB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 AM
1st Gear
Default AMI & BlackBerry- Difference Between 1/8" & MicroUSB?

I just signed the purchase agreement for a 2010 A4 Premium Sline and wont be picking it up until next week.

It comes with the iPod Audi Music Interface cord, but I use my BlackBerry torch as an mp3 player so I would like to pick up either a 1/8 or MicroUSB AMI cord instead.

My question is: is there a difference between the two cords in terms of functionality? I know ill be able to control the volume through the steering wheel, but will I be able to scroll through playlists/songs with either?

Also, will the MicroUSB cord charge my BlackBerry and the 1/8" not?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Former Sponsor

I found both cables listed in the Audi acc. section. The cable for the mini-usb is 4F0-051-510-H for 51.04 dollars, and the 1/8th inch cord is 4F0-051-510-F for 52.50 and we have both in stock. I am sorry but I found no material saying what these cables do other than send the audio signal out to the AMI unit. The listing on these cables and others is not as descriptive as I'd like. Any questions please let us know. Thank you, Jeff.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

Both of those cables only transmit audio... you won't be able to control anything besides volume thru the car. The 1/8" (3.5mm) cable is the same as plugging your headphones into your BB. I have this cable, and I love it. But you'll also need an extension... or else you'll have to keep your BB in the glove box, therefore not allowing you to control anything. I got a 6-ft extension at walmart for like $5, so it can reach around the entire car. I have no problems scrolling thru my music directly on my phone, instead of the car. PLUS, it works with anyone else's mp3 player or phone that happens to be in my car as well.

The only (possible) benefit to the microUSB would be charging your phone. I don't know for sure if it would do this or not, but I would guess that it would. Just watch out with the difference between microUSB and miniUSB... you mentioned micro, and Jeff gave you a part number for mini. I don't know if they have a microUSB cable - your dealer should be able to find out for you. You would probably need an extension for this cable too, since they're both only like 6-inches long... and i don't know how much that would cost.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Thank you for pointing that mini cable out, I missed that. The micro cable part number is 4F0-051-510-M for 51.04 dollars.

Last edited by Jeff-AudiUSAParts; 05-12-2011 at 06:23 PM.