B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

A4 in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Default A4 in snow

Hey everyone, I had a question for current owners of a4, wanted to get opinions on how audi a4 with 17 inch wheels handles the snow. I live in an area that gets alot of snow and icy conditions. I am about to buy a 2009 A4 wanted to know if 18inch would be better or if 17's do a good job.
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 AM
1st Gear

I don't think size matters in this case...

I do think snow tires would be a must...even with the quatrro

Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 AM

I have the Prem+ package (17" all-seasons) and have found the incelement weather performance fantastic. Like anything else, at a certain point gravity and lack of frictions will kick in and you will lose control, but at reasonable speeds, I think you'll find the A4 snow performance to be well above par.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

I actually just did a LOT of research on this. I live in Southern California, and don't see the snow often. So when I bought my new A4, I immediately wanted to go to the local mountain ski resorts. Since we don't get much snow here, I needed to do a lot of research on what steps should I take when going into the snow. By the way, I have the prestige package with 18" wheels. I must have read over 100 posts, all on Quattro Audi vehicle performance in the snow. Also read about 10-20 horror stories of summer tires in the snow. That is a definite NO. Although some people recommend snow tires, most people that drive in the snow will tell you that "If you have a head on your shoulders, with All-Season tires and Quattro, you will be fine." Most people will agree that having Snow tires in the snow is a luxury, and if you look at the link below you will understand why. However, some people, like me, will not want to spend $1000 on a trip to the local mountains. However, if you live up north, and have snow all winter, the $1000 will sound like a much better value. Hope these links help you make your decision between snow tires vs. all season vs. summer tires. Also, I heard 17" wheels are better on the Audi because you cannot put chains on the 18" wheels. Something to do with the clearance between the tire and the wheel cover. Might cause damage.

I found this great link below.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=116

Videos Here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=103
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=116

Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

One more thing I forgot to add. I drove in heavy snow up in the mountains without chains, on 18" Pirelli All Season tires. It worked out just fine, just made sure not to drive too fast. I forgot to mention my conclusion about all the research I did. Quattro will help you steer, corner, and accelerate in the snow like no other car. It is truly amazing and has no competition when compared to real wheel drive or front wheel drive vehicles. HOWEVER, it doesn't matter how many wheels are driving when it comes to stopping. Quattro does not provide any help at all when it comes to stopping. The only thing that matters when it comes to stopping is the traction on your tires, and obviously Snow Tires would work best for that.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 PM

I live in canada where snow tires a becoming mandatory to have in the winter. They are already mandatory in quebec and this will be mandatory in ontario. i bought snows for this reason and the difference is huge. the a4 with all seasons are already better than most cars. with snows i think i am as sturdy a drive as any suv on the market today.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

Your best bet would be to pick up a set of steel wheels and covers and get an agressive set of all seasons or snow tires. Not only would you have the best set up for winter driving, you also wouldn't have to worry about road salt and your new wheels. I did this for the 3 series that I had, and one set of winter wheels and tires lasted 5 years, gave me great traction, and kept my summer rims looking like new.