B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2011 A4 - Manual trans vs. 8-speed AT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ADK_audi
Conclusion: Test it out for yourself and see if you get similar results. Honestly, I could live with power and handling issues if I got better MPG in 5th, but I didn't, so I will take the better MPG, power, and handling and have a more enjoyable ride in 4th.
Good test. Thanks for doing that. I agree with the results.

I typically drive in 5th or 6th gear around town, but in Bakersfield the speed limits on most streets are 50 or 55 so I get better gas mileage in the higher gear. I don't drive 40mph very often. But I absolutely agree that I have better power and handling with the car in 4th gear.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, you will lose MPG driving in 4th at 55. I actually normally drive up to 55 in 4th because I'm just used to revving from my Subaru, really tryin to fight the urge. For my test only varied between 1600 in 5th and 2000 in 4th. I was a little surprised to get better MPG at 2000k.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cyberdude
Has anybody undergo similar pain and suffering while trying to decide whether to go with MT or AT, particularly now when the AT is upgraded to 8-gear box? Has anybody regretted getting the manual and now wishes he/she should have gone with the AT for reasons other than too much stop-and-go traffic?

I test-drove both options (for couple hours each) and I'm having the hardest time to decide. I've been always big fan of manual transmission but the new 8-gear is very responsive yet super smooth and shifting the gears manually on the AT seems to be nearly as much fan as shifting with a true manual. Also, I'm not planning to necessarily race the car, it will be a daily commuter. But at the same time I'd like to change the commuting into joyriding and the MT appears to suit this purpose better. Overall it seems to me the MT gets lot more out of the fantastic 2.0 TFSI....thus the question if anybody eventually regretted getting the manual...
Thx
is the '11 automatic *really* an 8 speed gearbox?

If so, will it fit in my B7 next time my CVT blows out?

I *loved* the idea of a "7 speed" AT, especially with the paddle shifters...I loved it even more when I got to 7 and then kicked it out of "sport" mode and saw the transmission shift again, into what I thought was "overdrive"

I laughed at the Lexus commercials that said they were the FIRST to come with an 8 speed auto.

I got shafted by an Audi sales *******.

Forgetting all of that....

...a *true* AT, with higher number of gear ranges, especially if we are talking about some sort of dual-clutch mechanism with sequential capability, will always outperform any MT counterpart.

This coming from a guy that will NEVER buy another AT equipped auto.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tighr
So you've got conflicting statements then. Does 5th gear on your A4 cause your engine to lug or not? By your own admission, if 5th gear is lugging, you need to be in 4th gear.

I guess the term "lugging" is relative. Let me use ADK Audi's description that is right on: "[it is not necessarily] straight up lugging, I could get it going when need, but it did take a second to engage. It wasn't like driving up a hill and there was no power at all, but rather a hiccup before moving. 4th had no problems punching it." Which leads to my point that I'm trying to express throughout this thread: with 258 lb-ft, I would expect the 5th gear to have no problems punching it (again, at 40 MPH/1600 RPM).

At the same time ADK Audi essentially answers my question as it looks like his 2.0T/ 211 hp engine behaves similarly to the way my does. So I'll make peace with this dilemma of mine, convince myself there is nothing wrong with my car/engine and will just acknowledge that's how the gears are set up on the MT.

Also, I realized that cruising at just slightly higher speed and RPM (say 43 MPH / 1650 RMP) makes the 5th gear noticeably more lively and less in the "lugging" mode. Still need to test the mileage, per ADK Audi's post.

Last edited by cyberdude; 10-25-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

I agree with you. I know from my days with a subaru that their particular AWD ate into some of the power to the wheels. The numbers that are often quoted is power to the crank, which is done for marketing purposes. I don't know whether that is the case with Audi because it is a completely different AWD system and seems to have more pep.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Got the answers!

It's been exactly a year since I started this thread and would like to answer some of my own questions...

My initial question was related to my dilemma whether I should go with A4 Avant that I really wanted but with AT (MT not available) or a Sedan with MT. I ended up going with the Sedan (only because of the MT) and after 1 year and several thousands of miles I can say the MT was a great choice and I absolutely LOVE driving the car, day after day. The MT is indeed a better fit for the 2.0 TFSI than the AT which is something I repeteadly proved myself by driving a loaner A4 with the AT. No different than what Tighr described in one of his posts as "Every time I take it in for service and get an automatic rental, I am reminded at just how much better driving the MT is"

I described my second problem as follows:
"I'm still struggling with the fact that doing 40 MPH at 1600 RPM's on a straight flat road (i.e. no uphill/downhill) I need to constantly toggle between the 4th and 5th gear to keep the engine from lugging. 4th gear seems to work just fine for speeds a bit under 40 MPH, whereas 5th (or 6th) gear works for above 40 MPH, but at 40 MPH it's as if I could not find the right gear.". The point I was trying to make was that with 258 lb-ft torque, I would expect the 5th gear to have no problems punching it (again, at 40 MPH/1600 RPM) which is something I did not experience back then.

Now I finally know the answer: back then the car was brand new and was not ran in. Once I put couple of thousands of miles on the car, I did not experience this problem any more an my A4 can easily cruise on 5th gear doing 40 MPH/1600 RPM and there is plenty of power if needed... Awesome!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

if you do alot of stop/go city driving, get the auto. it's smooth and shifts quicker than manually doing it too.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
if you do alot of stop/go city driving, get the auto. it's smooth and shifts quicker than manually doing it too.
I agree. Frequent driving in a stop-and-go traffic (not my case, though...) makes the MT vs AT dilemma sort of a moot point with AT being the clear winner. The 8-gear AT is indeed smooth but my main problem was that it upshifts to the 8th gear (and stays there) almost all the time while cruising and if you want to manually downshift to get the car going (w/o kickdown), you have to go from 8-7-6-5-4 so four shifts before you get the desirable gear. With the MT, you can go from 6th to 4th essentially in an instant...

Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 PM
1st Gear
Default 8 Speed AT smooth? I think not

I have a 2011 A4 Premium+ with the 8 speed transmission. In my opinion/experience it is anything BUT smooth. Upshifting or down, I can normally feel it shifting, as well as hear it. The car sputters sometimes and the power is frequently not there at lower speeds unless I jam on the pedal ( although that could be due to the electronic throttle ). I have taken it into the dealer several times, but they say it is working fine. I always disagree with them, they don't drive it daily in the conditions that I do.

I so wish I had the CVT now, but I wanted the quattro and didn't think the 8 Speed would be as bad as it is. I hope for everyone else sake, it is just my car.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

When I was shopping for a new A4 (2007) I read a lot about CVT/TT/ and the MT. The German reviews I read stated the 6sp manual was best suited for the 2.0T (200 or 211hp versions). Since the A4's do not have the DSG I got the 6MT and never regretted it. If I were to get a V6 or V8 I might consider an automatic though.

Quick Reply: 2011 A4 - Manual trans vs. 8-speed AT