B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2011 A4 - Manual trans vs. 8-speed AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 AM
1st Gear
Default 2011 A4 - Manual trans vs. 8-speed AT

Has anybody undergo similar pain and suffering while trying to decide whether to go with MT or AT, particularly now when the AT is upgraded to 8-gear box? Has anybody regretted getting the manual and now wishes he/she should have gone with the AT for reasons other than too much stop-and-go traffic?

I test-drove both options (for couple hours each) and I'm having the hardest time to decide. I've been always big fan of manual transmission but the new 8-gear is very responsive yet super smooth and shifting the gears manually on the AT seems to be nearly as much fan as shifting with a true manual. Also, I'm not planning to necessarily race the car, it will be a daily commuter. But at the same time I'd like to change the commuting into joyriding and the MT appears to suit this purpose better. Overall it seems to me the MT gets lot more out of the fantastic 2.0 TFSI....thus the question if anybody eventually regretted getting the manual...
Thx

Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

All my cars are and have been manual. I never regretted getting the manual A4. Even if it was offered in 8 speed S-Tronic I still wouldnt get the slushbox version. It's up to you basically, you know which version you would enjoy the most. I cannot imagine driving this car without a clutch—I would get bored so fast it's not even funny...

Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Go Manual!

I had the same dilema. I have a 2006 Mini Cooper with a manual and the Audi will replace that car.

I decided on the manual and will be picking up the car this week.

Brillant Red no less

Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 AM
1st Gear

It really depends on you, the driver, because most ATs now drive almost as good as a MT. Unfortunately, the Clutch is going the way of the appendix - once they were necessary but now they aren't really needed (and they are becoming harder to find!).

My personal preference is MT, every car I have owned has been MT. I think they are more fun to drive, plus I like the extra control over the car. AT computers react to how you are driving, but with a MT you can anticipate further in advance what you need the car to do.

One recommendation is if you get the MT - get the Nav package with bluetooth so you don't have to fight putting on a handsfree while shifting.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

SAVE THE MANUALS! Mt is lighter then the at too

Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

manual is better in this car. helps you tremendously off the line. you also can avoid that funny rough spot in the rpm range the AT likes to sit in between 1700 and 1900.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 PM
1st Gear
Default MT it is

Thanks for all the replies. Manual it is. Signed the papers today, picking up tomorrow. 2011 A4 Premium Plus w/Navi. In the end the manual clearly brings the best out of the 2.0 TFSI in terms of performance and makes the driver more in charge of the car. Now if only would Audi import the Avant with MT...

Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

My dealer was reluctant to order an MT for me when I bought my car, but I held my ground and love my car. Every time I take it in for service and get an automatic rental, I am reminded at just how much better driving the MT is. ADK said it best, I am smarter than the computer and can anticipate the traffic ahead. With a manual, when I need power I have access to it.

Every vehicle I own is manual, including (of course) the motorcycle, and we all know how important gear shifting is to a motorcycle.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

So after 2 weeks with the MT, I can clearly say the MT was the better choice, no doubt about it. It's almost as if the engine is designed for the MT... However, I'm still struggling with the fact that doing 40 MPH at 1600 RPM's on a straight flat road (i.e. no uphill/downhill) I need to constantly toggle between the 4th and 5th gear to keep the engine from lugging. 4th gear seems to work just fine for speeds a bit under 40 MPH, whereas 5th (or 6th) gear works for above 40 MPH, but at 40 MPH it's as if I could not find the right gear. Unfortunately, most of my dailly commute is at 40 MPH...
Anybody has a similar experience?
What bugs me is that my 1998 2.3 Accord runs so smoothly on 5th gear at 40 MPH/1600 RPM's...

Also, I had to turn off the advisory of upshifting for the lowest consumption. It kept telling me to upshift from 4th to 6th at situations when the engine couldn't take the 6th gear without apparent lugging. The indicator is as much worthless as annoying...

Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Haven't had a problem going 40, but I don't drive my car at 1600. I actually have found I get worse gas mileage when I try to baby my car. I get better MPG if I keep it around 2k and I stay away from the debated turbo lag. Anyone else experience worse MPG at lower RPM?

I agree, the "idiot light" is pretty much worthless, my car does the same thing - 4th to 6th. However, I have kept mine on because the car is so smooth in every gear that it's nice to have a reminder what gear your in - ya know, for when you do the auto-pilot-commute-thing.

Quick Reply: 2011 A4 - Manual trans vs. 8-speed AT