B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2010 A4 vs 2005 TL review...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Default 2010 A4 vs 2005 TL review...

Hope this doesn't offend anyone but just being honest with my opinions.

Interior: Tie
If it wasn't for the cool interface of the A4 the TL would win.
1. Whats with the cheap plastic piece around the instrument cluster. Very bad IMO. I would have much preferred nothing instead of that. Now the Q5 has a much better experience.
2. The aluminum fillers have no curves or texture (FLAT), looks OK but could be better. Kinda looks like a cheap fishing lure design and could easily be dented, scratched.
3. In the Auto the gas pedal and the brake are too close together. Probably something I would get used to but why, Germans are big people too!
4. I am tall (6'6") and have the seat all the way back and it is hard to get in and out. Although the trunk was huge.

Exterior: Tie
Both are sharp cars and will look good for a long time.

Driving impressions: A4 barely wins this one

1. The turbo did surprise me but before it kicks in it has nothing available. It was wonderful when going higher in the RPM's though (A/T in sport).
2. A4 handling was awesome.
3. I drove an 08 A4 manual and it seemed fun. I liked it. I need to try out an 2010 next time if I go back.

Bottom line: The TL has way more to offer for all around luxury and perfection but the A4 has the fun factor with the turbo kick and handling. Is it worth the extra 10K?? More maintenance and questionable reliability and lack of resale value.

I myself just don't know yet. I need to try it out some more. There is a reason I have 4 people wanting to buy my TL from me right now. They are great cars. I always wanted an Audi but am not sure the time is now. I am undecided.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

About the gas and brake pedals being close. I totally agree.

About the styling being a tie. I disagree. Acura's styling is horrible. It's almost like they ran out of any good ideas. Honda usually just copies German styling but recently I think they decided to go out on a branch. Audi's style is timeless-although I think the B7 looks better than the B8.

What kind of "all around luxury and perfection" does the Acura have that the Audi doesn't? The turbo doesn't make the 10k difference. It's because the Audi is, overall, a better vehicle. Magnesium plated frame...higher safety standards (Japanese don't have autobahn-level safety standards)..better build..better suspension..better transmission...bullet proof engine..quattro..the list goes on. Other makes claim they have a great AWD system but only Audi, Subaru and another one (I forgot) have a real AWD system. It's funny how people compare apples to oranges and wonder why there's a 10k price difference. Audi is in it's own league, frankly, considering the features listed and racing accomplishments.

And what's with Acura's and that wimpy horn chirp/honk when you lock it? That's so cheap for such a "premium" car. You'd expect that from a Honda. How many other corners do they cut to try to undercut the competition but still claim to even be in the same class. If you can afford it, spend the extra 10k for a real car. You'll eventually experience where it went.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

I would agree with the rattles in my acura, also there has been a well documented problem with the TL transmissions, which I have first hand experience with. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed my TL but I love my new audi and would trade it again.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by esandes
About the gas and brake pedals being close. I totally agree.

About the styling being a tie. I disagree. Acura's styling is horrible. It's almost like they ran out of any good ideas. Honda usually just copies German styling but recently I think they decided to go out on a branch. Audi's style is timeless-although I think the B7 looks better than the B8.

What kind of "all around luxury and perfection" does the Acura have that the Audi doesn't? The turbo doesn't make the 10k difference. It's because the Audi is, overall, a better vehicle. Magnesium plated frame...higher safety standards (Japanese don't have autobahn-level safety standards)..better build..better suspension..better transmission...bullet proof engine..quattro..the list goes on. Other makes claim they have a great AWD system but only Audi, Subaru and another one (I forgot) have a real AWD system. It's funny how people compare apples to oranges and wonder why there's a 10k price difference. Audi is in it's own league, frankly, considering the features listed and racing accomplishments.

And what's with Acura's and that wimpy horn chirp/honk when you lock it? That's so cheap for such a "premium" car. You'd expect that from a Honda. How many other corners do they cut to try to undercut the competition but still claim to even be in the same class. If you can afford it, spend the extra 10k for a real car. You'll eventually experience where it went.
My car doesn't chirp unless you hit the lock button twice so you know you locked it from a distance. Not sure about the newer ones.

I just love the carbon fiber aluminum interior on the TL's. It just works. The V6 power is very linear and you have power at every instance and rpm. You also get the best Nav on the market.

With that said the A4 is still on my list. Love the handling and turbo. I always wanted one. I guess the TL was my first love and I am comparing all other vehicles to it, that's all.

The major concern I am going over in my head are: 1. entry/exit from the vehicle, I am 6'6" and the pillar blocks my way getting out of the car. 2. The cheap plastic around the dashboard and low quality aluminum (can this be replaced with CF like in the S4), although I think the S4 had the CF but still had that ugly piece around the dashboard. 3. Reliablity, I will be driving 20K miles+ a year.

I still need to drive the MT sometime soon. Can anyone relay the driving experience of the MT vs AT?

I want to upgrade the ecu also. So much fun...

Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned

I just can't take Acura's styling seriously at all. They did, after all, have a spoiler on every model. Even all Honda's had them. Acura's just become an eyesore after a couple of years. Older Audi's still look good.

I love the 2.0T but I hate the spool. Then again it's a very efficient engine.

I'm a tall guy too 6'-3" and I don't have any issues getting in/out. It seems like you keep the seat tilted very far back. I'm not sure about the B8 interior but my B7 interior is great. No complaints. As for reliability, I haven't had any issues. My co-worker has a B5 and never had a problem. As for the TL, a friend had one and he had the tranny changed twice. The newer Audi's are extremely reliable. I heard about some coil pack issues with the older ones but no issues with the new ones.

I might get a stage one chip later but I'm in no rush. The stock engine is quite powerful.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

If its a TL vs A4 I would go a4 if its a TL Type S or A4 I would go TL Type S. I have to live thru the unbareable truth that my friend with an 07 TL S has mods of CatBack (BillyBoat) Throttle Body Spacer, Intake (AEM), 2" tien s drop, and Cat deletes, where he now pushes 13.8seconds on the 1/4 mile times. The A4 with a great tune and amazing performance work can come close to it. But the S4 will tear into it.

TL vs A4... A4 wins.

A4 has nice new luxury styling but the TL has a great new body shape after the 05 years I think, the new shape is slowly growing on me but the TL is a great car. Depends what you want to do after you buy it. Tune it.. or Stock drive it. A4 Premium comes with great interior and a soft expensive look, the TL S has all you need on the interior but you gota pay a price for it. Maybe its just me but depends what you want from the car. I juggled new TL or A4 (my insurance company helped me make that choice)

Last edited by kavan; 09-28-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM

So I just drove the 6 spd manual and have to say it was great and the way I want to go, much better than the auto. So much fun. A few questions though:

1. I forgot to see whether or not the prem plus had cruise control. I am assuming yes but just want clarification.

2. How much for an extended warranty to 100k miles. I need min of powertrain and would like to get one that covers electrical too.

3. Is it worth getting the clearbra install? If so ghow much from a local shop would it be?

4. If I got the APR upgrade would it void my warranty?

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

1 I'm assuming it has cruise. I have an auto and it definately has cruise.
2 I paid $650 or $750, I forgot. They rolled it into my payments so I don't even notice it.
3 Definately get the clearbra. You barely notice it too. Mine came with it and it has definately prevented paint chips on the hood. My VW has no clearbra and the hood is just dotted with chips.
4 From what I hear, the APR is undetecable to the dealership. So to them it's not even there.

kavan, how does a S4 compare to a TL type S? It's not really fair to compare the base Audi engine to one of Acura's top engines.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 PM

Odd, our 06 TL must have been a lemon or a Friday built car, too many complaints to list. I know it had 63K miles, but my 07 G35s with 44K miles still drives and feels like brand new, opposed to the TL that felt old and rough in every aspect. I love our new A4...and my G . It's great how snappy the A4 feels in just everyday driving, the TL felt like a slug unless you really hammered it. It even feels snappier than my G just driving it around (pushed hard, of course, my G will smoke it, haha!) The A4 engine is just much more refined and smoother than the 3.5 in my G. Sure the G sounds mean under load, but it can be a little rough at some higher RPMs. My only complaints in the A4 would be the weak sounding engine, the transmission tends to hunt around and shift harsh in stop 'n go traffic, and the "grabby" brakes coming to a slow stop. Oh, and our A4 doesn't have Xm Nav Traffic, very useful everyday in my commute.

Last edited by csdstudio; 10-10-2009 at 09:01 PM.