B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2.0T cooldown period at shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0T cooldown period at shutdown?

Do Audi or VW recommend a cooldown period prior to shutdown on the 2.0T engine?

I do that on my Cummins turbo diesel, and a friend thinking of buying a car claims to not have the patience to wait before shutdown. What is the manufacturer's position on that?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 AM

It would be somewhere in the owners manual.

For the 1.8t it recommends that you dont run the car at idle because it runs inefficiently and creates pollution. But thats some BS in my opinion. Also, the 2.0t is direct injected so it is more efficient at idle.

The turbo is oil cooled, so if the car isnt running, the turbo isnt being properly cooled. Usually you only allow for a cool down if the turbo has been spooled hard close to shut down, and most people may only wait a minute or two. You might need a boost gauge to know for sure. If you dont drive the car real hard, for a couple miles, or few minutes, before you turn the car off then you should be ok.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
It would be somewhere in the owners manual.

For the 1.8t it recommends that you dont run the car at idle because it runs inefficiently and creates pollution. But thats some BS in my opinion. Also, the 2.0t is direct injected so it is more efficient at idle.

The turbo is oil cooled, so if the car isnt running, the turbo isnt being properly cooled. Usually you only allow for a cool down if the turbo has been spooled hard close to shut down, and most people may only wait a minute or two. You might need a boost gauge to know for sure. If you dont drive the car real hard, for a couple miles, or few minutes, before you turn the car off then you should be ok.
While looking at vehicles at the dealer, specifically looking in the owner's manual for such content, I found no reference to cooldown.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:34 PM

yea there is no reference to cool down in my manual either, but they do mention the BS about running at idle

the fact is that turbos will eventually fail, and the better you treat them the longer you can expect them to last. This is especially true when the car is chipped and the turbo is boosting above its factory specs.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
The turbo is oil cooled, so if the car isnt running, the turbo isnt being properly cooled.
I don't know anything about turbos, but if the car is off, then it isn't getting any hotter either. So does it do more damage the longer it is hot or something and the oil cools it quicker?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM

if the car is not running than the fluids are not being circulated to cool the turbo.

if the turbo is not spooling than the it is not heating up, besides the heat created by the engine. So you want the car to run so that the turbo can be cooled by circulating fuids, but you also dont want the turbo to spool.

hence cool down period or light driving

Old 07-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

if you're gunning it before you plan to turn of the ignition, wait a good minute or so to be safe. but if you're keeping it below 2000 rpm through a parking lot or your neighborhood for a while before turning off, i don't wait.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

What about when you start up the car? I have always waited until the idle went below 1k before I drove off.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Legal Moderator

normally ill wait till i have at least some coolant temp to get into boost (i have a gauge).once you get some good oil temo then you can bang on it. the theory being that you dont want your turbo to get too much hot exhaust while being at atmospheric temp. its in the way metal expands an contracts.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 AM

No cool down is needed. "Turbo Coaking" was a big issue with Saab and every other turbo maker many years back. Audi, and the others, now use several methods to prevent this. Just listen to your car a few mins after shutdown and you can still her the cooling fans running.