B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Xenon Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Default Xenon Light Upgrade

I just purchased a 2007 A4T Quattro with projector halogens. It was a hurry up buy (timing belt broke in my 2000 A4). My old car had xenons and I would like to upgrade the new car. The posts here, and elsewhere,are very confusing ranging from it can't be done right to shade tree upgrades requiring a dremel tool - usuallyon pre-2005 models. The dealer wanted $2,500, but said aftermarket kits were available, but wasn't going any further than that.

What's the scoop? Are the newer projector halogens easier to retrofit than the older reflectors? Do I need to to get new OEM headlights to do it right? Are there kits available that don't require hacking apart the headlights? Do these retrofit kits blind other drivers?

I'm not interested in the appearance - I've just been driving with them for 8 years and am used to the nice white light.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Xenon Light Upgrade

no u can get aftermarket HIDs
and they are cheap and easy to install

you dont need new housings casue they make HIDs for bulb size
you just have to find HIDS in ur current bulb size and they should fit

Old 05-03-2008, 12:32 PM

Thank you Panda. I picked up the car yesterday and did some googling for the upgrade. The car has "elipsoid halogen projectors". There are anumber of companies that make upgrade kits with prices that range from a couple of hundred to $1500 for new housings.

I didn't see any specific to the 2007 model - most ended at 2006. Are the 2007 housings unique or are kit manufacturers just not updating their web sites. The manual does't list the bulb type - where do I find that?

Some forums say that if I upgrade I will get an error code - true or not?

Finally, any experience on the best kits. I would rather spend a few bucks more and get it right rather than go low price and get a less than acceptable result.

Thanks for your help,

'Seabrz

Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM

please dont install H.I.D's in a halogen housing ... that causes the worst strain on oncoming drivers. Besides that It looks terrible and gives off the most glare, good if you owned a honda.. not an Audi...

do what i did an many many members of audizine.com, and retrofit real xenons into the car, its bit more expensive but totally worth it. Click on the pic on my signature....

P.S. you wont get any error codes. After you install the lights all you need to do is recode the car for xenons take about 5 mintues.

Stay classy

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200173

Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. This sounds like the wayI would like to go. I sent you an e-mail requesting specifics. We live nearby - would like the name and number of the shop in NH who did your work.

Thanks,

seabrz

Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

Thanks exactly what I needed!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear

If you wants hids then get the right stuff the first time around...dont get hid's and put them into your halo housing, you will end up blinding everyone. If you REALLy want hids then get OEM projector/hids. you can find them for around 1500, just gotta look around

Old 06-24-2008, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

vvme.com thats what i have and most people on the site do to. there good bulbs for the price.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

I got vvme also.
RobR10is that the problem with b7 headlights??? Cuase thousands of b6 guys do that and have no problems.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

ya Rob, i would also like info on the specifics about what exactly you got and what not... thanks! if it would be easier thru email then just let me know and i will send you my email over pm

Quick Reply: Xenon Light Upgrade