B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Worried about ruining rims! Plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Worried about ruining rims! Plz help!

Hi everyone,

Car details:
2005.5 Audi A4 Quartto 2.0T - 6 Speed Manual
40,000 Miles

Add Ons:

Engine:
APR Chipped.
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Factory Audi Flywheel, Factory Audi Bearings.
Carbonio Cold Air Intake.
Forge Motorsports Polished Diverter Valve.
EuroSport Cat Back Exhaust Kit.

Exterior:
Deval R Series Front Bumper
Deval Rear Bumper
Deval Side Skirts
Deval Trunk Spoiler
20" Custom Painted Crome Rims

Question:
My 20" crome rims are custom painted, and complete the car. I pretty much want to NEVER EVER dent/scratch them. I paid almost $4000.00 for them and they are wrapped in the best tires possible.

I need some suggestions about which suspension upgrade I should buy
(If it will help protect my rims).

The rims aren't on the car right now simply because the way the car drives I can automatically tell that if I hit one single pothole my rims will be dented. I want to project them to the fullest. Price isn't an issue at all..

When I purchased the car on 1/5/09 Certified Pre Owned. they told me that the car has a "Stock Sport suspension" already installed.

To be honest my last car was a 2004 S430 - Automatic Mercedes Benz. I also had very expensive 20" rims on that car. I drove it to hell and back (around 7,500 miles), not one single dent/scratch on the rims what so ever. The ride was completely amazing. The car had 100% stock suspension. I just don't see that happening with this stock Audi suspension.. maybe if I had 18" or 19" rims.. but 20" is pretty much "over-kill".

I don't care about the handling/racing stuff.. I just want my car to always look nice. Dented rims on a brand new Audi is pretty embarrassing..

Last edited by I'm Audi; 02-25-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

you wont dent your rims by driving over a pothole......

1) if your 4000$ rims dent based on pressure alone.....you have gotten ripped off
2) you can insure your rims from an insurer if money is no issue i would say do that
3) suspension upgrades for this car will not give you a comfortable ride instead you will find it MUCH stiffer and you will feel almost every crack in the road if you upgrade the suspension
4) personally i would have gone with 19"s because there is a little bit more rubber on the sidewall that if u hit a curb you might get away with scuffing the tire and not the rim

Old 02-26-2009, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

#1 yes you can dent your rims by driving over a pothole. Maybe not with your baby 19"s.. But with 20"s it happens very often, no matter what material the rims are.

#2 i didn't get "ripped of" I'll be posting before and after pictures of my Audi this Tuesday. The rims are "ShowRoom material"

#3 when I said money isn't an issue what I meant was, all the suspension upgrades for my car cost $1,500+. I just figured if I wanted the "best" it would be more expensive than that.

#4 19"s are worthless to me, why in the world would I ever hit a curb? lol.. I've been driving manual since I was 12 years old. I take care of my car, i put alot of money into it..there's no way in hell i would EVER hit a curb LOL that's a huge DUMBIE MAN right there.

Anyone else have some suggestions?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear

get airbags then it'll help cushion the hit plus when u go to the showroom you can slam it to the ground at the push of a button

expect to drop 3k on them

btw ur a *****

Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by I'm Audi
Hi everyone,

Car details:
2005.5 Audi A4 Quartto 2.0T - 6 Speed Manual
40,000 Miles

Add Ons:

Engine:
APR Chipped.
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Factory Audi Flywheel, Factory Audi Bearings.
Carbonio Cold Air Intake.
Forge Motorsports Polished Diverter Valve.
EuroSport Cat Back Exhaust Kit.

Exterior:
Deval R Series Front Bumper
Deval Rear Bumper
Deval Side Skirts
Deval Trunk Spoiler
20" Custom Painted Crome Rims

Question:
My 20" crome rims are custom painted, and complete the car. I pretty much want to NEVER EVER dent/scratch them. I paid almost $4000.00 for them and they are wrapped in the best tires possible.

I need some suggestions about which suspension upgrade I should buy
(If it will help protect my rims).

The rims aren't on the car right now simply because the way the car drives I can automatically tell that if I hit one single pothole my rims will be dented. I want to project them to the fullest. Price isn't an issue at all..

When I purchased the car on 1/5/09 Certified Pre Owned. they told me that the car has a "Stock Sport suspension" already installed.

To be honest my last car was a 2004 S430 - Automatic Mercedes Benz. I also had very expensive 20" rims on that car. I drove it to hell and back (around 7,500 miles), not one single dent/scratch on the rims what so ever. The ride was completely amazing. The car had 100% stock suspension. I just don't see that happening with this stock Audi suspension.. maybe if I had 18" or 19" rims.. but 20" is pretty much "over-kill".

I don't care about the handling/racing stuff.. I just want my car to always look nice. Dented rims on a brand new Audi is pretty embarrassing..
20 inch wheels on an audi? Chrome? WHY GOD WHY!!!! If you like chrome 20 inch rims.. I have one suggestion... sell the audi and get a Chrysler 300M!!

and be nice, people are here to help you, but check the attitude at the door.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dmfan016
get airbags then it'll help cushion the hit plus when u go to the showroom you can slam it to the ground at the push of a button

expect to drop 3k on them

btw ur a *****
apologize, had a bad day, and I took your response as an offense. didn't mean to be rude. thanks for the help. ill consider getting air suspension.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Auditron
20 inch wheels on an audi? Chrome? WHY GOD WHY!!!! If you like chrome 20 inch rims.. I have one suggestion... sell the audi and get a Chrysler 300M!!

and be nice, people are here to help you, but check the attitude at the door.
already apologized.
there's nothing wrong with 20 inch chrome rims on a audi..
i already explained my audi isn't a race car it's for show only.
that's why im focusing on the extrior.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

i would check out airbags.....if its a looks only car then you'll be hanging around ALOT of VW owners and its kinda there thing to have a really deep dish expensive nice rim, with their car as low as it can possibly go until its rediculous...i mean i have met some people who have ripped off their oil pan completely while driving cause their car was so low

their rims never go over 18'' tho its weird look around VORTEX for a little while to see what im saying post pictures either way