B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

whistling when cluth not engaged??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 PM
rmh
1st Gear
Default whistling when cluth not engaged??

I took my A4 3.2Q 6MT in for the 5K service and since then I will occasionally hear a whistle from what sounds like the engine compartment when I have the clutch *dis*engaged.

When I engage the clutch, the whistling diminishes/goes away in direct correlation to the amount of engagement of the clutch. This sound is not a squeal, but a whistle.

I haven't logged any codes since the 5K service, but I feel that something was done at the 5K service or I've got a vaccuum leak somewhere that's causing the whistling.

My power seems to be off (only slightly), but MPG doesn't seem to be affected greatly, though I haven't put the car on the Interstate for enough miles to validate that from what it was prior to the 5K service.

Any thoughts, comments, or advice?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: whistling when cluth not engaged??

i dont think this is the same thing, but i notice that when i have the clutch engaged and go to shift the car into 1st gear while im rolling, i will notice a winding up noise, sort of like the cars that you press down and pull back and it winds it up and then let it go... i have just kind of assumed this is normal but now that you are talking about something slightly similar i thought i would mention it

Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

you really should never shift into 1st unless your at a stand still the gearing is so high that winding noise your hearing is your engine matching how fast the gear is spining totally normal you'll hear the same thing when u downshift from any higher gear to a lower gear prolly most noticable from 3rd to 2nd but going from 2nd to 1st just is alot of strain on the engine tranny and clutch ....i used to downshift to slow my car down until a mechanic broke it down to me like this he told me "engines are put in cars to make them go, not stop thats what brakes are for"

Old 07-05-2008, 01:15 PM
2nd Gear

ya... i never downshift from 2nd to 1st to slow down... it just like if im on a hill or something and start rolling first, or you know when your coming to a red light and had almost come to a stop but it turns green so you still moving at about 5-10mph but its too slow for 2nd so you gotta put it in first for just to get it going a little more before you shift to second

Old 07-05-2008, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear

still should be shifting into 2nd.....you can pretty much go from a stop in 2nd its just never a good idea to put it in 1st to while your moving at all

Old 07-06-2008, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear

o ok... i figured that while i was moving at around 5mph, putting it in first would be too bad of an idea cuz i have put it in 2nd as well but there is really little power that low down on the rpm line

Old 07-06-2008, 11:00 PM
rmh
1st Gear

I'm stopped, or just about to back up, when I hear this whistling.

I hear your advice about the gearing, but that's not the issue here.

I'll be spending more time under the hood trying to figure out the new issues I got by taking the car to the dealer... harrummph!

Quality service just ain't what it used to be.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear

ya i feel you on that one...

Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

hmmmm....to be honest i think about this thread while i'm at work (being a landscaper it doesn;t take alot of thought to dig holes) i mean maybe something with the airbox because even at a low idle your still making a vacumn with the engine still sucking in air, a piece or a few crafty peices of plastic could case that i mean stranger **** has happened (read fire in my trunk) it could be something with the a/c or fan

hanyways, my advice to you if you have the time/patience is take it to a totally different more reputable audi dealership being that the car is under warranty, explain the situation and have them take a peek under the hood

not all service shops are held to the highest of standards you just gotta keep on trying until you found a decent shop and stay loyal

good luck