B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Where is the Oil Filter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Where is the Oil Filter??

any one know where the oil filter is? I tried to change my oil today and i couldnt find the oil filter. after looking around the engine bay, top and bottom, with my friend we found this black housing thing near the engine bay and figure that is the oil filter, but we couldnt unscrew the black housing thing.

I already did some research, and from the research I found that 2008 A4 models are different than other years A4 models. 2008 A4 you dont change the whole oil filter, you only change the filter inside the oil filter. the oil filter cane is reuseable. thats why i am having a hard time finding the oil filter.

if any one have any info please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by B72.0tsline; 03-22-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:37 PM

I assume that the 2008 is no different than the previous couple years...if that is so then the links below should be helpful. I didn't use the special valve to drain the oil from it, but I did spill some. The best thing to do would be to get some kind of funnel to catch all the oil that remains in the container. I think on my next oil change I am going to make a funnel out of a 2 liter bottle and see how that works.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=23260935
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=23179114

Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Wow this solve all my questions why i can get the black housing off. Really helpfull!!! Thank You very much!!!

I will try again on next Saturday.

Once again Thank You and Appreciate your help. you have no idea how big this is to me.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM

I had a lot of trouble getting the housing apart, too. (I have only changed it once since getting the car a couple weeks ago). It is only supposed to be torqued at 15 N-m per the writing on the housing, but I think the Audi dealership really could care less.

What I ended up doing though was putting an adjustable wrench on the bottom 'bolt' head as in the how-to's, but that wasn't enough. I then got my dad to put a normal oil filter wrench around the canister, and while I was turning the adjustable wrench, he turned the oil filter wrench. With both of those at once, I was able to break it free.

And just for reference: 15 N-m is about 11 lb-ft of torque. This means that if you were applying a torque to the oil filter canister with a 6 in long wrench (and your hand at the end) you would need about 22 pounds of force to meet the torque spec.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

so you are saying its going to be hard to turn the housing? even with the 36 mm require socket?

also when I am at the bottom of the car should I turn the housing where the arrow indicates?

Thanks

Last edited by B72.0tsline; 03-23-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Well, I'm saying that I had an issue with it, and I'm just throwing an idea out there if you have an issue as well. The case is plastic so when I applied a torque on the 'bolt' head instead of unscrewing the whole thing just flexed. That's why I had to put half the torque at two locations.

It is right hand thread just like most things...so righty-tighty, lefty-loosy :-D

Old 03-28-2009, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

I finally did it. from about 1:20pm to 4pm, there is this wire blocking(connect to the silver circle thing next to the oil filter) my oil filter housing so I couldnt get the socket in. I tried to remove it but I couldnt. but some how I got the socket in, once i got the socket in i have no problem to turn the oil filter housing.

now i am exhausted......

Thank you for your posting the link to me clemsongt.

now i just have to figure out where to dump the oil. dont know if autozone accept them, my friend told me autozone accept your old oil but you have to buy the oil from them or else they will not accept your old oil. I bought my from BJ's whole sale club.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Autozone, advance auto, napa, etc. They will all take the oil even if you didn't buy it from them. There is a law that says anyone who sells oil must take back old oil for free. For this reason, every single one of them will take it back.

If I am wrong and Autozone doesn't...advance auto definitely does...

Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear

I think some places have a limit on how much they'll take at one time.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

what about the oil filter? will autozone take it or i can throw it into the trash ?

Quick Reply: Where is the Oil Filter??