B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear
Exclamation Wheel bearings?

So when i drive my car between 5-40mph or so there a loud screeching noise in the front of my car but as soon as i apply the brakes the noise stops. Pretty sure its the bearings from what i have read but at 30k it seems a little early. Also i put new front pads on about a 10-12 days ago and the noise started within the last 3 days. Is this also warranty?

Thanks Adam

Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear

I'm afraid I can't help too much, but when the wheel bearings were giving out on my Malibu at 100K, you could tell it was the wheel because the sound varied with wheel speed, not RPM. It wasn't real loud, though. Can you tell if it's just one wheel or both? If it's both it seems more likely it's something to do with the pads.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

I would have to say, that you don't have a wheel bearing problem. Wheel bearings make a wob wob wob noise when turning (like on a curved on ramp), and not really anything in a straight line. If you just replaced the brake pads, that is where I would start to point my attention.

Did you "turn" (have them resurfaced) the rotors before putting on the new pads? Stock pads can eat away the rotor at times, leaving a lip on the inner and outer rotor surface area. Not to sure how B7's go through rotors, but you should always turn the rotors when replacing pads for bedding purposes.

Did you take the carriers off? If you did, did you tighten them properly during reassembly?

Some pads come with directional indicators on the inner pad. The pad that seats into the caliper piston. It should be pointing in the direction of the rotation of the wheel.

Did you make sure to secure your wear indicator wire back into it's holding bracket?

I would jack the car up, and turn the wheel by hand to see which wheel is the source. Then take the wheel off and inspect your work. Basically start over.

The brakes are one of the most important thing on your car, and if you don't know what you are doing you need to have someone who does finish the job. You not only run the risk of hurting yourself and loved ones. But also bystanders who you encounter on your travels.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Site Moderator

I agree with JrAdrock, its most likely a brake pad or anti rattling clip problem. Take off the brake calipers and look for anything wrong. Its most definately not a wheel bearing.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
2nd Gear

you always have to resurface your rotors when you put new pads on your car i'm guessing thats the culprit but idk if you already did that during the job but yea jradrock has the right idea

Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by dmfan016
you always have to resurface your rotors when you put new pads on your car i'm guessing thats the culprit but idk if you already did that during the job but yea jradrock has the right idea
Never re-surface an audi brake rotor, at best you can just scuff it up with a grinder wheel. The metal on our rotors are much too soft, so decreasing the thickness will just increase the heat forced upon the pads and wear them out much faster. If the dealer doesn't do it, i wouldn't do it either.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:50 PM
3rd Gear

I cant really work on it since i have no tools down here in SD. But hopefully this weekend i can fix it up then sadly put it up for sale. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:37 AM
3rd Gear

Bump! okay so i got the outer lips off the discs but i didn't do the inside hopefully tomorrow when i do them it works! wish me luck!!!