B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Trade in Time - 3.0L B6 for 2.0T B7

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Trade in Time - 3.0L B6 for 2.0T B7

I've decided that maybe it's time to trade in my '02 3.0L Auto Quattro for an '06 2.0T Auto Quattro. I've found a nice clean low mileage example but before I fully commit I want to be 100% sure what I'm getting into. With that in mind, are there any major "gotchas" that are gonna make me wish I hadn't bothered...? During the test drive there was a light raspy noise when I accelerate under low revs which disconcerted me a little. Obviously, the salesman said that they all sounded like that, as did his colleague back at the dealership. He said it was the turbo but I can't say any of my previous (non-Audi) turbos souned like that. Is it my over sensitive ears or could there be something wrong...? It has a CPO warranty which eases my mind a little but I'd rather buy a car without potential problems.

Any other advice...? Anything I might miss from my 3.0L...?

The one thing I won't miss is not having any room under the hood

Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

Well first off the 2.0T is an excellent choice, and I do not see you missing anything from your 3.0L. As far as problems, there is loads of information out there on FSI and TFSI issue's. Audi revised the 2.0T for 2007, (Engine code BWT) it had the same HP/Torque as previous versions (BPG etc) they just redid a few things over the 04-06 models (B7's were released in 04 for Europe/Germany). From what I have read however all TFSI suffer from PCV failure (I had that) Coil packs (that too), Diverter valve failure, and worst of all is the cam lobe issue. It is good that you have CPO so if any of these issues occur, you can get them fixed. My PCV and coil packs cost me nothing as I was under the New Car Warranty. Also Audi did a recall for coil packs, make sure that was done. The items I mentioned are cheap to fix except the cam lobe, while cheap to fix, if it wears out it will take the cam and fuel pump with it and you will be faced with a huge bill. I am going to have mine checked soon even though I have none of the signs of a bad one. One other issue I have read with FSI motors is carbon build up, (from slow driving, start stops etc) which I have not seen on the 2.0T's but I guess it exists too.

Anyway do some searching on the issue's I mentioned and see for yourself, and I am sure there are others on this site who have lots of advice to give you!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

the only issues i had were very minor issues:
-the coil pack recall. although mine were fine, audi decided to just replace them anyways.
-intake runner flap motor failed. so they replaced it. i didn't notice any difference in fuel economy or driving manners before and after.
great car. you'd love it.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Just done the swap and have been playing spot-the-difference...

On the the new car there's no trip computer, just an mpg display (unless they moved the button on me...?). There are no memory seats, no auto mirror for reversing, no warning triangle in the trunk, no cargo net (but I kept my old one). However, it does have auto headlights and an extra gear... I think it might have bigger rims too...?

The biggest difference is that I now have a car payment for the first time ever...

Old 10-03-2010, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

If you have the correct (technology, I believe) package, there will be a button on the end of the wiper stalk for you to change what is displayed.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eMacPaul
If you have the correct (technology, I believe) package, there will be a button on the end of the wiper stalk for you to change what is displayed.
Sounds like I missed out on the tech pack this time... my 3.0 had the button on the stalk but not this one. I'll miss that function as I used to use it a lot. Bummer dude...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear

Just Read the stickies up top. Especially mine. Lots of quirks but lots of simple fixes.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear

The trip computer became part of the premium package in 07. Audi got major flack from the auto magazines for charging $1700 for the technology package for something that had been standard in the B6's. Consumer Reports and one or two other magazines actually pointed out what Audi did.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

In addition I've discovered that it has auto-wipers...

But I don't think I have HIDs anymore... I thought all Audis had them...?

The drive is totally different and the turbo is a lot peakier. Even with less power it feels quicker, more torquey... not sure what the torque figures are. However, I have practically zero engine breaking with this engine and gearbox. My 3.0L B6 was almost as good as a manual for engine braking and I rarely needed to use my brakes. I once did my 43 mile commute only touching my brakes twice through the whole journey...!!! No chance of that with this car...

Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear

Get a stage 2 Revo or APR chip and a high flow cat or test pipe. You will be amazed how much power you get and you will be very happy.

Quick Reply: Trade in Time - 3.0L B6 for 2.0T B7