B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Thinking of buying B7 A4 2.0 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Thinking of buying B7 A4 2.0 6-speed

It's been a while since I've owned an Audi, and I think I'm about to come back very soon. I am thinking an A4 2.0 with some light mods will do the trick.

A few questions prior to purchase:

As far as years, are any years in particular proving to be "better?"

I'd like to find a well cared for, lowest possible mileage example.

Any big issues that I should know about? I am familiar with the cam follower wear issue.

Coming from an E46 M3, will I find a car with Stage II+ software, HPFP upgrade, and a downpipe to be "sufficient?" The K04 swaps look VERY tempting, but for those that have gone this far, is reliability still there?

What are most people doing for a realistic compromise in suspension on a street car? The Vogtland coil overs look attractive, but they are pretty high on my SH$T list after dealing with their stuff on my M3 (their post-sale service was absolutely abysmal).

I see quite a few have done the Cayenne 350mm 6-pot front brake conversion, but it seems people are leaving the rear alone, or just going to a larger rotor, but still keeping the stock single-piston caliper. I know it's a bit of a project to swap an opposed piston caliper on the back because of the requirement to have a functional e-brake, but how is the brake bias with the Cayenne setup up front and the stock caliper on a larger rotor out back?

That's all for now, and I appreciate the input guys.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

i have an 08 with the unitronic stage 2 and just the test pipe and a K&N filter and i love it. i didn't want to go crazy because i have a certified car and didn't want to void any warranties.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

Well if I were to buy another A4 B7 2.0t I would only look at the 2007/2008 model years. The 2007/2008 A4's had some minor tweaks and end of cycle updates that the other model years did not include (MP3 for one). Also the BWT engine which is not flawless, but has fewer problems than earlier versions. The 6sp manual is an excellent choice since DSG was not included for the B7 range. And if you plan on tuning go for the Quattro. Even with a measly 200hp the fronttrac can break traction easy if you are an inexperienced driver!

Common problems with the 2.0T (of any year) are the coil packs (Audi recall) the PCV, and DV (Diverter valve). The PCV and DV are not too expensive to replace from what I see, and there are aftermarket solutions for both. I would get the Sline as they have a better looking front also a few other small performance tweaks. Watch out for the '08 models as all (US) A4's came std with the Sline body kit, but not the suspension etc. Many dealers I have seen try to pawn these SE's off as Slines (for more $$ of course).

Since you like performance, have you checked out an S4 (344hp) or RS4 (420hp) both V8's?