B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Slight vibration/shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default Slight vibration/shudder

I have a 2006 A4 2.0t quattro. Is it normal for an occasional slight shudder or vibration when turning a very slow speeds such as turning into a drive way or parking spot. Seems to be coming from the wheels or axles. It can be felt through the steering. It is almost like the sensation you can get on a car with a locking rear diff when it is turning. Almost like the differental is trying to restrict the rotation of the wheels and the wheels are fighting the diff. Is the Torsen restricting rotational differences or something. Its just a really strange sensation.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by B7Night
I have a 2006 A4 2.0t quattro. Is it normal for an occasional slight shudder or vibration when turning a very slow speeds such as turning into a drive way or parking spot. Seems to be coming from the wheels or axles. It can be felt through the steering. It is almost like the sensation you can get on a car with a locking rear diff when it is turning. Almost like the differental is trying to restrict the rotation of the wheels and the wheels are fighting the diff. Is the Torsen restricting rotational differences or something. Its just a really strange sensation.
Well I have experienced almost the same thing you are talking about, except I was turning a little quicker (not sure how slow you mean). It was the ESP kicking in to keep me from skidding. When I was making a quick right turn after getting off the Autobahn the ESP kicked in because the sensor (I guess) felt the car slip a little (road was a little wet).

I also felt the ESP kick in a lot harder with a 2004 Fiat Stilo I drove once while cornering fairly hard on dry pavement. The symptoms were identical to what you described.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

Since I am pulling into a driveway or parking spot and turning fairly sharp when the vibration occures, I am guessing I am going under 10 mph. It does not happen all of the time. My 2000 Jetta GLX use to occasionally trigger the ASR or electronic locking diff when I turned at slow speed while applying the brakes, but that felt different. It is a strange sensation/vibration. It is not very harsh, but it is noticable. I had a car that had CV joints start to go bad after 150,000 miles, and it does not feel like that either. I guess mabye I should shut off the ESP and make some slow speed turns and see if I notice the vibration.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

im guessing it has to do with the all wheel drive. my quattro does the same thing, but the fwd loaner cars i have got from the dealer dont do it.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

I am just curious, do either of you notice any play in the steering when the wheel is at center. My steering wheel seems to move almost a quarter inch back and forth before any steeing happens. It's incredibly annoying trying to maintain a strait line traveling on the highway at high speed. there seems to be little resistance in this spot, and on either side of the quarter inch, the steering wheel firms up and the car responds. The tech at the dealer drove the car and said that it was normal play in the rack, and if it was adjusted to get rid of all the play, the rack would start to bind and not return to center very well. Apparently this is typical nose heavy quattro Audi acording to the tech. I don't think I ever drove a car with this much play unless it was high milage and worn out. My car has 42,000 miles. The alignment was done 4 months ago.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

No, I have no play at all in my steering. My car has 27tmls.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:51 PM
2nd Gear

I could not figure out how the tech thought everything was normal. I was in the car with him, and all he did was drive around at 55 with no hands on the wheel, and did some sharp turns in the parking lot. When I showed him how I could giggle the wheel back and forth a little he discounted it. My parents have a Chevy Malibu and GMC small pickup, both of which have way more miles and little if any play in the steering. Next time I visit my parents, I will make an appointment at the Audi dealership in their community and see what they think.