B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Oil filter PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Dan
Sleepr:

I'll check my manual about the cooling system bleed procedure when I get home tonight.
Thanks!

I called the dealer today and they informed me that you can not remove the upper radiator hose from the quick disconnect. I then asked them why would they sell the quick disconnect alone? Now a new upper radiator hose with quick disconnect is on its way from NJ. It will be here Wed. My sister leaves for the family Thanksgiving Tues. I guess she will be taking the Cadillac to Alabama, which will be better since she is taking 2 dogs.

All of this over a simple oil change.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Sleepr:

Hate to say it, but the only proceedure listed in my Bently manual for refilling the coolant talks of using a VAG unit that only a dealer would have. Therefore, on the refill. see if you can fill it as much as possibel, and then park it,running, nose up, then nose down, looking for air in the recovery tank. I'm pretty sure some of the recovery tanks have a bleedable port on them.

Wish I could be more help.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Dan
Sleepr:

Hate to say it, but the only proceedure listed in my Bently manual for refilling the coolant talks of using a VAG unit that only a dealer would have. Therefore, on the refill. see if you can fill it as much as possibel, and then park it,running, nose up, then nose down, looking for air in the recovery tank. I'm pretty sure some of the recovery tanks have a bleedable port on them.

Wish I could be more help.
I found a bleader valve under the plastic engine cover. It is just a 10mm bolt in the metal coolant line the goes across the top of the engine. My concern is not being able to access a radiator cap to fill the system from.

Is there a radiator cap on this vehicle?
Do you have to remove the front bumper to get to it?

I have filled the overflow tank, but I know the system is not full because it is dry at the bleader valve.

On a side note, the Turbo 5w-40 Mobil 1 I used has gotten rid of the lifter ticking.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SleeprLegend
I found a bleader valve under the plastic engine cover. It is just a 10mm bolt in the metal coolant line the goes across the top of the engine. My concern is not being able to access a radiator cap to fill the system from.

Is there a radiator cap on this vehicle?
Do you have to remove the front bumper to get to it?

I have filled the overflow tank, but I know the system is not full because it is dry at the bleader valve.

On a side note, the Turbo 5w-40 Mobil 1 I used has gotten rid of the lifter ticking.
Yeah, just saw the bleedr valve myself. Learn something everyday.

I am not aware of a radiator cap other than the one on the overflow tank, and the Bentley Manual supports that. The diagram shows only the overflow tank fill location. Also, it shows a second bleed valve location at the heater core return nipple.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

I just picked up a filter drain fitting/hose kit. Its pretty simple for $40 and it just screws in the bottom of the filter housing. Just put the hose in the drain can and screw the fitting into the filter. It drains the filter housing so you can just un-screw it without getting oil all over the place.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I just picked up a filter drain fitting/hose kit. Its pretty simple for $40 and it just screws in the bottom of the filter housing. Just put the hose in the drain can and screw the fitting into the filter. It drains the filter housing so you can just un-screw it without getting oil all over the place.
I plan on having one of those before my next oil change.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear

maybe you should not be changing your oil..... just saying it looks like it cost more then to just pay a shop and do it right in your case :-/

Old 11-26-2010, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dmfan016
maybe you should not be changing your oil..... just saying it looks like it cost more then to just pay a shop and do it right in your case :-/
If I had the Haynes manual I would have had all the information I needed. A shop or dealer would not have used Mobil 1 turbo 5w-40 oil. They also do not let the car sit until every drop of oil comes out of the drain. This takes 30 minutes for me. On top of that I have learned a new skill, and I will be able to change the oil in no time next time.

Knowledge is power.

It also cost more for me to buy the high quality oil and filter than it would to have the oil changed at most shops.