B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Oil filter cartridge

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil filter cartridge

I see from various posts that Audi as well as other mfg's have gone back to the insert cartridge type filters . I believe the spin on filters were stopped in 2005 or 2006 A4 models. So I guess I have 2 questions here. One being what filter mfg's are considered the best for these 2.0L motors . The second question is do they make an adapter that allows you to use a spin on filter . I feel like the auto makers are going back to yesteryear in eliminating the spin on filter. I recall back in my 1960's being able to buy spin on adapters for my Corvette small blocks. I use to dread the oil changes on my old XKE with the insert type. Thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

use the OEM Mann filters. i heard the fram stuff is made of cellulose fibre which swells. why bother going through the trouble of looking for an adapter and risk using an inferior filter? i know my filter is placed above the suspension components so you need a special funnel to catch all the oil.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

esandes , I'll most likely go to a Mann filter which I have used for other applications but I am disappointed that the industry is moving away from the spin on filter. I have and can find better spin on's vs the cartridge filters and they are easier to deal with. I believe the recycle folks have found their way into this area . My lexus has the same system. My ford pick up even came with a remote spin on similar to what has been used in racing for years. I'll live with it but I was curious as to whether there was another option. Thanks

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by jagtoes
esandes , I'll most likely go to a Mann filter which I have used for other applications but I am disappointed that the industry is moving away from the spin on filter. I have and can find better spin on's vs the cartridge filters and they are easier to deal with. I believe the recycle folks have found their way into this area . My lexus has the same system. My ford pick up even came with a remote spin on similar to what has been used in racing for years. I'll live with it but I was curious as to whether there was another option. Thanks
Theres a big difference between a Ford engine and an Audi engine...

and its physically impossible to adapt a spin on filter.

Audi has been using these drop in filters pretty much since the FSI motors came out.