B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by whoisthis
what should you be expecting from a Nissan owner? I say a hardcore tuner who does research everyday.
what should I be expecting from an Audi owner? just a guy who thinks his rich because he has an Audi? Audis are cheap for what is worth.
I guess you didn't get a chance to research oil viscosities yet. Lets make it an after school exercise. We'll wait for your results. Oh , we already know the answers but maybe someone on the board would like the technical explanation.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear

My A4 does not use oil, and I don't baby it, or abuse it. Some do some don't use oil. My 2.4 Grand Am use to use upwards of 1.5 quarts every 4000 miles. GM said 2 quarts every 4000 was totally normal. Also diving conditions make a difference. I noticed that my oil cosumtion increased dramaticly when I started driving short trips such as the 1 mile back and forth to the car pool lot. Remember lots of cold starts per mile driven is hard on oil. There are additives in the oil that sacrifice themselves to protect the engine at startup. Lots of cold starts will consume those additives dropping your oil level to some degree.

The first number on the oil can refers to the cold start protection. The lower the number the lower the the temerature can be at which it can still flow properly. A 10 weight usually only should be used at temeratures 0 degrees F or warmer. With 0 degrees F being the cut off, you should use something like a 5 or 0 weight in the winter. Both those weights protect and flow better at temperatures below 0 degrees F, I just don't remember the temperature cut off for each oil grade.

The 30, 40 etc. refers to the operating temerature protection. The 40 can withstand a higher engine temperature before it breaks down than a 30 weight can.

Since the 2.0t is a turbo, it runs hotter and really should have the 40 grade oil that is more resistant to engine heat.

Audi recomends the 5w 40 for both cold start protection, and operating temperature protection. If you live in the bitter cold area's of the US midwest, or in Canada, you might want to use 0w 40 in the winter months, but Audi/VW does recomend 5w 40 for general use year around in the USA, I don't know what they recomend for Canadian winters.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
quit posting and drive your cheap nissan econo-box off a cliff.
haha you were so nice for the few posts and turned into such a douche.
How much does your "B7" cost? i'm assuming you have a B7 and that's why you are in this category. Oh, you must be running stock with automatic. Have fun flicking your foot to go and stop lol
The Audi brand makes your car cost go up but the brand name won't increase your car's performance.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by B7Night
My A4 does not use oil, and I don't baby it, or abuse it. Some do some don't use oil. My 2.4 Grand Am use to use upwards of 1.5 quarts every 4000 miles. GM said 2 quarts every 4000 was totally normal. Also diving conditions make a difference. I noticed that my oil cosumtion increased dramaticly when I started driving short trips such as the 1 mile back and forth to the car pool lot. Remember lots of cold starts per mile driven is hard on oil. There are additives in the oil that sacrifice themselves to protect the engine at startup. Lots of cold starts will consume those additives dropping your oil level to some degree.

The first number on the oil can refers to the cold start protection. The lower the number the lower the the temerature can be at which it can still flow properly. A 10 weight usually only should be used at temeratures 0 degrees F or warmer. With 0 degrees F being the cut off, you should use something like a 5 or 0 weight in the winter. Both those weights protect and flow better at temperatures below 0 degrees F, I just don't remember the temperature cut off for each oil grade.

The 30, 40 etc. refers to the operating temerature protection. The 40 can withstand a higher engine temperature before it breaks down than a 30 weight can.

Since the 2.0t is a turbo, it runs hotter and really should have the 40 grade oil that is more resistant to engine heat.

Audi recomends the 5w 40 for both cold start protection, and operating temperature protection. If you live in the bitter cold area's of the US midwest, or in Canada, you might want to use 0w 40 in the winter months, but Audi/VW does recomend 5w 40 for general use year around in the USA, I don't know what they recomend for Canadian winters.
thx for taking your time and writing this all down. I read so much of this VISCOSITY stuff on 350z forum though

Old 11-13-2010, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

B7 good start. This is good basic info but it goes much deeper. Keep looking at some more oil viscosity information and you'll be surprised as to how complex this discussion will get. As always the best bet is to use the OEM's requirements and you'll be OK. If you want to change then look at the data sheets to determine if it is good for your engine. Most of the new technology syntec oils are compatible for most engines but VW has some other criteria because of the turbo design of these engines. Keep learning it is good for you.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear

No matter what car I have owned, I am always fussy about staying with in manufacture specs. Always be sure to check that the shop puts the correct oil in. On my old Olds Ciera I had years ago, twice Walmart put the wrong oil in. They put 10w 30 in for the winter months both times instead of 5w 30. Being that 10w 30 is ment for warmer weather, they caught hell from me. I live in the cold north. I would not have caught it had it not been for the guage package. When I started the car, the oil pressure went sky high tipping me off something was wrong. Then I looked at the paperwork and sure enough the wrong oil. The cap even said 5w 30.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

No matter what car I have owned, I am always fussy about staying with in manufacture specs. Always be sure to check that the shop puts the correct oil in. On my old Olds Ciera I had years ago, twice Walmart put the wrong oil in. They put 10w 30 in for the winter months both times instead of 5w 30. Being that 10w 30 is ment for warmer weather, they caught hell from me. I live in the cold north. I would not have caught it had it not been for the guage package. When I started the car, the oil pressure went sky high tipping me off something was wrong. Then I looked at the paperwork and sure enough the wrong oil. The cap even said 5w 30.
Good for you . If you don't change your own fluids then always verify that you are getting what you suppose to. Oh by the way I run 20W-50 Dino oil in my old Ferrari and still drive it in the winter. Just takes a little longer to warm it up.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoisthis
haha you were so nice for the few posts and turned into such a douche.
How much does your "B7" cost? i'm assuming you have a B7 and that's why you are in this category. Oh, you must be running stock with automatic. Have fun flicking your foot to go and stop lol
The Audi brand makes your car cost go up but the brand name won't increase your car's performance.
don't backpedal or turn this discussion into me vs you because you've lost all credential by posting what you posted. if you want to hang out in this audi forum, you best just create a new username and don't post anything technical, you retard. for a self-proclaimed tuner that you are, i wouldn't let you change a spark plug on my lawn mower.

ps. i'm better than you.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
don't backpedal or turn this discussion into me vs you because you've lost all credential by posting what you posted. if you want to hang out in this audi forum, you best just create a new username and don't post anything technical, you retard. for a self-proclaimed tuner that you are, i wouldn't let you change a spark plug on my lawn mower.

ps. i'm better than you.
hey, you are the one who started this. Why don't you backpedal and read your posts.
I haven't seen your any knowledgeable posts, "you retard". Why don't you go have fun with your B7 with 22 inch chrome rims with add on vents?
Oh, you must be better than I "AM". Tell me what you are better in.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
B7 good start. This is good basic info but it goes much deeper. Keep looking at some more oil viscosity information and you'll be surprised as to how complex this discussion will get. As always the best bet is to use the OEM's requirements and you'll be OK. If you want to change then look at the data sheets to determine if it is good for your engine. Most of the new technology syntec oils are compatible for most engines but VW has some other criteria because of the turbo design of these engines. Keep learning it is good for you.
I'm going to get UOA test done on my castrol 0w30 in VQ35DE.

Quick Reply: oil consumption?