B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Need help understanding keyless remotes for A4.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Need help understanding keyless remotes for A4.

So we recently picked up an 05.5 A4 2.0T Quattro with premium package and the car just came with 2 Audi keys with no remotes on them. I'm assuming the previous owner lost them and just had these made cheaper.

Regardless, I want to get keyless once again. I went to the Audi dealer and they said they don't cut keys there, but they place an order and they come in pre-cut and then they have to program it there as well for another $65.00.

Is there no way to do this myself? I see uncut keyfobs on ebay and was assuming I could program it myself.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Where the 04 and older remotes are a two piece key, one half is the transmitter and the other half the flip out key, your 05.5 is a one piece and there are no blanks for your key out there in the aftermarket that I've seen. Audi does have to cut your key by vin number, and they enable the key to be programmed by a dealer. They don't pre-program the key to any car, that is what the dealer does and they need all keys for your car and your car in the shop to do this.

The problem with aftermarket keys is the metal is not the same as an OEM Audi key and the key machines that cut those aftermarket keys don't always make good cuts because of the poor quality of the metal used on the aftermarket key. If a parts person offers to cut your aftermarket key they will usually tell you they aren't responsible if it doesn't fit. It's a gamble if you get a good cut or not. None of this applies to your 05.5 car though, I don't believe there are any a/m keys out there for sale.

The price at your dealer for the key should be 130.00, and the 65.00 to program it is pretty good. Many dealers bill out one hour at 120.00 or so to do that.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
Where the 04 and older remotes are a two piece key, one half is the transmitter and the other half the flip out key, your 05.5 is a one piece and there are no blanks for your key out there in the aftermarket that I've seen. Audi does have to cut your key by vin number, and they enable the key to be programmed by a dealer. They don't pre-program the key to any car, that is what the dealer does and they need all keys for your car and your car in the shop to do this.

The problem with aftermarket keys is the metal is not the same as an OEM Audi key and the key machines that cut those aftermarket keys don't always make good cuts because of the poor quality of the metal used on the aftermarket key. If a parts person offers to cut your aftermarket key they will usually tell you they aren't responsible if it doesn't fit. It's a gamble if you get a good cut or not. None of this applies to your 05.5 car though, I don't believe there are any a/m keys out there for sale.

The price at your dealer for the key should be 130.00, and the 65.00 to program it is pretty good. Many dealers bill out one hour at 120.00 or so to do that.
Thank-you Jeff. Makes sense and I guess it's off to the dealer we go. At least we'll buy one new remote and try to find another on ebay or something. I should take a picture of my keys and post them because they do not look like any Audi keys I've ever seen.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

just had a key fob cut and programmed for my 06 a4 total bill 200$ at my audi dealer. 140 for key fob and 60 to program. OUCH