B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Misfiring what to do ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Misfiring what to do ??

I have a 2006 A4 B7. Took it to mission Viejo Audi dealer and they fixed a couple sensors ( some pressure valve for the gas tank that was stuck open and something for the turbo) and when I drove it home from the dealer and I turned my AC on my CEL started to flash. I took it back to the dealer and they said it had nothing to do with the work they did on my car. I was told they could take my head off for 1,300$ just to look inside. I almost through up in my mouth.

They stated that cylinder # 4 is misfiring. They removed the spark plug and said that some of the ceramic from it had broken off in the cylinder. It could have bent a valve or is stuck in the valve hole keeping it open. The dealer replaced it with a new one.

So my cars still at the dealership sitting there bc There's no way I can afford that after paying them 800$ to fix the previous codes that where coming up. Not to mention taking it to Vtech in lake forest (very bad idea) and them having my car for a week and charging me 540$ they fixed nothing and created another problem causing my gas tank not to go past 3/4 of a tank when I fill it up.

WHAT TO DO:

Should I drive my car to my house like 10 miles away? or have it towed?
Where I could attempt to pull the spark plug off in cylinder # 4 crank the piston to the top and use a shop vak to suck out the piece. If thats what the problem is.

Im located in south Orange County. does anyone know of a mechanic that doesn't charge any where close to 135$ an hour.

Id perfer to do it myself since I'm currently unemployed.

I also am pretty handy and used to do R and R on transmisitions way back in high school.

I'd even be down for someone to help me do any of it.
Even a barter of some sort would work. I do carpet cleaning and handy man stuff.

Thanks for reading and any information you can provide

Brian

Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

When the CEL came on what was the code. Do we assume it was cyl. #4 misfire? It is pretty rare for a plug to break up but did the dealer scope the cylinder? Also did they just replace the coil pack to see if the misfire went away. They seem to be a weak area . Also did they perform a compression check or a leak down test to see if the cylinder is dead. I would start checking out some of these issues and see what you come up with.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
When the CEL came on what was the code. Do we assume it was cyl. #4 misfire? It is pretty rare for a plug to break up but did the dealer scope the cylinder? Also did they just replace the coil pack to see if the misfire went away. They seem to be a weak area . Also did they perform a compression check or a leak down test to see if the cylinder is dead. I would start checking out some of these issues and see what you come up with.
I haven't asked the exact code they got at the dealership, but the service advisor told me it was cyl 4 misfiring. the CEL was blinking which I was told that indicates the engine is misfiring at that moment. The dealership pulled the valve cover and replaced the broken spark plug. They want 1,300$ to look in to the probem. that doesn't including any parts that they might need for the repair.

But I'll look up on youtube or something to see how to replace the coil pack. as for scoping maybe i can rent one and to check it out if there not to expensive. I also think investing in a code reader wouldn't be a bad idea either.

So I guess I'll try drive my car to my house and see whatI can do to it tomorrow.

thanks for the insite.

Brian

Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=bmp1967;1327865]I haven't asked the exact code they got at the dealership, but the service advisor told me it was cyl 4 misfiring. the CEL was blinking which I was told that indicates the engine is misfiring at that moment. The dealership pulled the valve cover and replaced the broken spark plug. They want 1,300$ to look in to the probem. that doesn't including any parts that they might need for the repair.

But I'll look up on youtube or something to see how to replace the coil pack. as for scoping maybe i can rent one and to check it out if there not to expensive. I also think investing in a code reader wouldn't be a bad idea either.

So I guess I'll try drive my car to my house and see whatI can do to it tomorrow.

thanks for the insite.

I very rarely go to a dealer unless there is a free warranty repair. I do all of my own work but I advise anyone who needs to use a dealer to do a few things. Treat anyone who repairs your car just like a doctor. Tell them everything about the problem and describe when and how it happened. What I request from the dealer is what I pay for. Namely in the case of them plugging in the code scanner I want a list of the codes in the order that they were set. I want any/all parts returned to me that they changed. I want a cost breakdown on what they did. As to the $1300 charge they need to give me a cost breakdown of what they would do and how it would fix the problem. It's just the way I work.