B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Looking in to purchasing a 2007 A4 with 104k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Looking in to purchasing a 2007 A4 with 104k miles...

So this is my first post, and I'm posting a question that has probably been asked a few thousand times, but I am treating this decision very seriously. If you don't want to hear a blah blah introduction, just skip to the next bolded section further below.

BACKSTORY

I am a recent college graduate working an entry level position, so $ isn't too high, but neither are expenses. So I want to reward myself for making it through college. Right now, I actually already own an Audi. I own a 2001 A6 2.7T with around 104k miles on it. I got it from a friend who I trusted, and I don't think he intentionally gave me a bad car, but I have had too many issues as a result of this purchase. Suspension is terrible (sounds like rear struts may need replacing), they advertised features that were not actually there, and I didn't put enough research in pre-purchase. There's also salvage and flood damage on the title prior to when my friend purchased it and owned it for 7+ years. Plain and simple, my mistake. I'm obviously not going to be able to sell it for very much.

However, I do love the car. I've previously owned a 94 Nissan Pathfinder, and an 03 Mitsubishi Eclipse, and in terms of pure enjoyment, I LOVE my A6. From time to time, I'll drive my parents cars when I am at home, which are 07 and 08 Honda's, and it's still not even close.

So it's pretty obvious to me that I want to keep driving with Audi. However, I can't afford a brand new one, and I don't want to go the lease route because it's not true ownership and you're spending more in the long run anyways. So the route I feel like I need to go would be something in the 2005-2009 range. I don't mind paying premium, but I want better gas mileage than I am currently, so the A4 is definitely the car I'm going to be going with.

I have found one near my home that is pretty much perfect in terms of appearance. It's a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T that's Blue with black leather interior and silver polish instead of wooden. It looks awesome, and I will certainly be going to test drive it within the next couple of days. However, the mistake I've made in the past is getting my eyes set on a particular car and not putting enough effort in to make sure it's good, and I don't want to make this mistake anymore, I am trying to be smart about it. Thus this forum post

THE IMPORTANT STUFF

I have found a 2007 A4 near my home that is pretty much perfect in terms of appearance. It's blue with black leather interior and silver polish instead of wooden. It looks awesome, and I will certainly be going to test drive it within the next couple of days. However, the mistake I've made in the past is getting my eyes set on a particular car and not putting enough effort in to make sure it's good, and I don't want to make this mistake anymore, I am trying to be smart about it and take every precaution possible with every car I look at going forward. Thus this forum post.. Doing that process with this car first should be a good test.

The car is listed at 10.9k which puts it at around $300 less than market value. It also has 104k miles on it. Everything with the title checks out, with no accidents. It has had 3 owners, with the first one getting it up to 72k miles with two other owners splitting the rest.

So I have a few questions...

1.) What is the general consensus with A4's once they reach higher mileage? Have heard this can greatly depend on previous ownership.

2.) When looking at maintenance records of the car (hopefully they have them..) what are key components of the car that should be replaced at this point? (I.e. timing belt is a common one I hear)

3.) How true is the problem I have heard about oil consumption of the B7? I've heard some numbers as low as needing a full liter every 1000 miles, which sounds pretty extreme, especially when purchasing synthetic oil.

4.) Is 32 mpg highway truly what these cars can get? I've seen 19/29 and 24/32. Not sure which is truly accurate.

5.) What are common repairs required around 100-120k mileage range, if any?

I have also found a great place for a pre-purchase inspection that I most definitely trust thanks to multiple recommendations.

Thank you for your time! I would really appreciate some feedback, and I will post results of the test drive here soon. If this thread has been started too many times elsewhere, just point me in the right direction.

Last edited by curtstead; 05-14-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by curtstead

So I have a few questions...

1.) What is the general consensus with A4's once they reach higher mileage? Have heard this can greatly depend on previous ownership.

2.) When looking at maintenance records of the car (hopefully they have them..) what are key components of the car that should be replaced at this point? (I.e. timing belt is a common one I hear)

3.) How true is the problem I have heard about oil consumption of the B7? I've heard some numbers as low as needing a full liter every 1000 miles, which sounds pretty extreme, especially when purchasing synthetic oil.

4.) Is 32 mpg highway truly what these cars can get? I've seen 19/29 and 24/32. Not sure which is truly accurate.

5.) What are common repairs required around 100-120k mileage range, if any?
1) Yes depending on how well it was taken care of, it should be a good car. But there will be repairs at some point with any vehicle, and that will cost money. It will cost more with an Audi, nature of the beast.

2) Timing belt. Check for cam follower, dv valve, pcv valve. But timing belt is the major one here.

3) Some have lots of oil consumption, others do not. I have very minor oil consumption, never need to add any between oil changes. But others do add some often. Just depends on the motor I guess. But it's no that hard to add oil and if I had to add oil to mine, no big deal. But I'm pretty good about taking care of my car.

4) Best I've gotten was 31 hwy. I average 27, worst was 25. (Auto, Quattro)

5) Haven't gotten that far myself, but timing will be due. Then may as well do the water pump, thermostat while youre in there. Have to take them off anyways, why not replace them.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

Ditto what mHoward says. Seems like you have done your research.

At 100k+ you might also want to have the suspension checked out.

1.) If taken care of it should be fine. I have heard people talk about an Audi being a 200k+ car if taken care of. I am at 133k now and starting to belive it myself.

2.) Timing belt and cam follower. Also, when test driving get it out on the free way while the engine is still cold. You want to check for a very subtle surging at about 50 to 60MPH. There is a know issue with the Quatro/Automatics with the TQ.

3.) Mine didn't use any until recently. Now I add about a quart every 2500 to 3K miles.

4.) I have gotten 33 on a long distance trip. Average 26 to 27 in my daily driving. I also had an A6 and wanted better MPG so I moved to an A4

5.) Only the timing belt so far for me. I think I might need to replace the turbo in the distant future.