B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

HELP! Issue with ongoing brake rotor warping on my B7 A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! Issue with ongoing brake rotor warping on my B7 A4

Hi All!

I have posted this same thread across several of the Audi forums in hopes that someone out there has some insight on the very strange, ongoing brake issue I have been experiencing with my 2007 B7 A4 S-Line.

Two years ago I slid (on black ice) wheel first into a curb at maybe 5 MPH. At the time the steering wheel was turned 2/3 of the way to the left, and the passenger side front wheel collided with the curb. After hitting the curb, the car incredibly drove just as it always had - straight, no wheel shake, no pulling to one side, no effect on braking.

Fast forward a few months and I noticed that I started to have some steering wheel shake each time I applied the brakes. The issue became more pronounced and I decided to replace the front pads and rotors. Prior to this, the car had the original pads/rotors on it with ~90K miles. After the replacement, the car was back to 100% smooth braking. After the replacement I did a 2,000 mile round trip through New England and back home in Virginia. During the trip (of mostly highway driving), I noticed that the steering wheel shake returned while braking. After taking the car back into my very reliable local Euro car shop, I was told that the front right rotor was warped again.

Since that time, the shop has done an alignment, aligned the sub frame, replaced the front calibers, checked the wheel hub and bearings, and have even tried driving the car at highway speed and then stopping to immediately check the rotor temps with a heat gun - which yields uniform temps all around. I have had a total of 5 sets of brake pads, 3 sets of rotors, and the new set of calibers put on the car. Each time, the car is smooth for ~2,000 miles or so, then the front right rotor is warped again. I have noticed that there is a bit more brake dust that forms on the wheel in question then on the drivers side, but thru touching the wheel, it never feels warmer than the drivers side, after a longer drive.

Any insight/suggestions/thoughts that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love the car, and it has been incredibly reliable since I purchased new. The lack of smooth braking definitely takes away from the enjoyment of driving though!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me.