B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Help: CPO B7 2.0T vs. new Jetta?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Help: CPO B7 2.0T vs. new Jetta?

Ok, other than the AWD and knowing that I like to look at the B7 much more than the Jetta, why wouldn't I go for the new car Jetta v. a CPO A4 with about 30k miles and less than a year of new car warranty left on it? The sizes are pretty similar... I've got a B5 right now, and both would be a slight space upgrade. I haven't driven the Jetta yet, so that's not a factor I can weigh in yet either. Maybe that in itself is the overwhelming decider. Manual, definitely, btw. Too bad the CC just seems to miss in too many ways (esp. in manual) and the Passat is, well, a Passat.

Please help. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Default nobody coming to B7's defense?

...please! Tell me why I need to defy (my) better judgment and buy the b7 cpo v. the new jetta. I need to know why the jetta is just wrong... please?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear

Well, having a B5 currently you know how nice Audis are. Also, with CPO it doesn't really matter how long the new car warranty is since the CPO warranty will just take over after that for a few more years.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

Tough call because with the new Jetta you have all that extra warranty. With the CPO Audi though, can't you get extended warranty? The Audi has the edge on the Jetta with the Quattro plus the Audi is German made so it's solid.

Bottom line: I'd get the A4 if you can get extended warranty just for the piece of mind. FWIW, my A4 has had no issues at all. With used cars, some extended warranty is assuring since you don't know how the last owner treated or maintained it.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

I just bought an 06 CPO and love it. I looked for a lease turn in, as oppose to a trade in. I figured at least with a lease, or 2006 and less, they would have taken better care of it b/c of the maintenance agreement.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Good feedback. As for: "...having a B5 currently you know how nice Audis are..." yes, I do. I also know have expensive they are to fix. CPO, off-lease, seems like it'll buy me that 2-to-3 year piece of mind that I have none of right now.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

First of all, esandes, Volkswagen and Audi are owned by the same parent company and are both German made cars.

As to the question at hand. I bought my 2007 B7 brand new, have 35K miles on it, and have had zero problems with the car. Audi does have somewhat of a bad reputation for reliability, but as long as you take care of the car you should be fine. I've read reports that the B7's actually do really well in regards to long term reliability. Being a CPO, you should get a shortly extended warranty from the dealer, probably no more than 3 yr/36,000 m. Since it is coming off-lease, at least you know it has been maintained relatively well and not beaten to death.

This one is going to come down to personal preference. The Audi is more upscale, but the VW is practical and economical. I would suggest test driving the VW before making up your mind, because they really are pretty fun to drive.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

i know both are owned by the same company but the audi is made in germany and the jetta is not. passats are made in germany last i checked but jettas and golfs are made in brazil, i think. my golf was made in brazil. i buy german made whenever i possible can because their build quality is the best.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

Agreed, VW/Audi/BMW etc are all usually very good cars. The Jetta is nice but is on the last year or two in production. With the Golf VI comming out for next year in the US (It has been here in Europe for over a year now) I am sure a new Jetta will be released soon after. I would go for the A4 as it is better looking and more classy than a Jetta. Just make sure to get the extended warranty for any problems that might arise such as; PCV/DV/ coil packs failing etc. These are the most common problem with all T FSI engines from VW/SEAT/SKODA and Audi.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 AM

Jettas are made in Mexico. My wife owned one for two years, and we finally sold it because it was made so poorly. I would never again buy a German car that is not made in Germany.

Quick Reply: Help: CPO B7 2.0T vs. new Jetta?